Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 My new Powerbelt Tip insert >

My new Powerbelt Tip insert

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My new Powerbelt Tip insert

Old 03-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Banned

Default My new Powerbelt Tip insert

And it works like a charm Its fun playing around and coming up with things.

This Plug fits flush with the Powerbelt, The other tip sticks out a penny thickness for added protection.

Bullet on the right is the winner, Also it says 262 grains, I made a typo! It should be 257grains New.

295gr With another tip i made that has a little hard lead sticking out to smear over the nose of the bullet upon impact.

The 245 and 295 grain Powerbelts NEVER could handle the 100gr Pyrodex RS charges before. I have to put the sprue cutter on the mold tomorrow and then i can start casting these up hot and quench them in cold water over night to harden. Its an interesting concept so far but i have to do a lot more work and learn as i go along. I badly need a drill press.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My new Powerbelt Tip insert

Interesting idea. What was the distance that you tested these at?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Banned

58 yards into semi-damp sand. I still want to make an aerotip but have no clue how to get the cone shape. I jb welded the 2 pieces of aluminum together and then drilled the holes out and threaded the cavity.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should just build a mold to make your own the way you wnat them. You could call it The Frontier Bullet

Seriously though, I'm sure you could get one made and it would be more consistent coming from a mold then it would altering an existing bullet.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now I wonder where you got that idea.
The cone shape is easy if you have a hand motor drill and a drill press; put your piece in the drill press take a cone shaped grinding wheel and put it in you drill motor [hand ] make an upright for your drill press and strap your drill motor to it. If you position your drill motor right then when you bring the head of the drill press down it will grind a nice round cone shape.
It really gives you a lot more options with the PB's. Lee
P.S. if you want to make a high BC version use a brass bolt and cone the head so the edge stops just short of the curve of the shoulder .
Old 03-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Banned

you would THINK a bullet mold maker could do this. I had 6 places turn down $200 because they said they could not do it. After that i said fudge them, i'll do it myself. Once i get more aluminum and a bench press drill i will be all set. I feel the results will be a lot better once i get the lead temp. in the 700* range and then pour into the mold. I also read that ZINC is hard. Im not sure if my simple campfire will melt zinc though.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you just want to eliminate the hollow point clean it out with a drill and use a soldering gun to fill it with bulk solder. You could also drill it to the right size and thread it and screw an aluminium screw into it.Lee
Old 03-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Banned

thats to much work. I wanted something that i can just press right in and go shooting.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's neat Devil. It's fun when a plan comes together and there are worse ways to spend your free time.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Banned

Snazzy, Dont you think? Sprue cutter goes on tomorrow, had to buy the bolt and washer today.

Quick Reply: My new Powerbelt Tip insert

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.