HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Removing a stuck breech plug. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/287027-removing-stuck-breech-plug.html)

TUK101 02-19-2009 09:16 PM

Removing a stuck breech plug.

I have tried heat, WD-40, and tapping on it. Any other ideas? This is an old style breech plug with the inverted notches in it instead of a hexegon shape like newer ones.

Breechplug 02-20-2009 03:44 AM

RE: Removing a stuck breech plug.

I found that if you get another person to help hold the barrel while you try and unscrew the breech plug this will help, if the other person wears gloves, preferably the ones with little rubberknobs on them, this will work better, they'll need a good grip so the barrel does'nt turn, and preferably someone strong too.You should only use heat as your last option and I dont recommend heating the barrel. When you do get the breech plug removed, when you install it next time be careful not to overtighten it.
I only snug it up finger tight, I never use the socket or breechplug wrench. And apply some T17 Breechplug Grease, or Teflon Tape. If you apply the T17, put it on the breechplug threads and install it, then back it out and install it again, working it into the threads. I have never had another breech stick after doing this. The biggest cause of a stuck breech plug is over tightening it. Best of Luck to You. BP

UncleNorby 02-20-2009 05:22 AM

I know there are different ways to get them un-stuck. If you give more info. on how yours got stuck folks can give some guidance. Was this gun fired several times and put away for a year uncleaned, or perhaps was it just shot a few times without anti-seize compound on the threadsZ?

cayugad 02-20-2009 05:44 AM

When I get a bad one... I take Kroll Oil and pour it down the barrel and then push a saturated patch down the barrel to told it there. I then put Kroll Oil from the breech side. This does a couple things. Kroll will penetrate about anything, stinks to high heaven, and will kill powder charges.

Then I wrap the area of the barrel where the large locking lug is with some rags or anything to protect it. Go out to the shop, and put the lug part of the rifle in a vice. I then get the breech plug removal tool in place and start to apply as steady a pressure to it as possible. Normally I can get them to move. I have not had one yet that could beat me. Although on the Black Diamond XR I did break their cheap factory breech plug wrench.

The Kroll will penetrate, the vice will give you a great work station, and the pressure will normally break it free. If you tried all of this, you can boil the breech plug. Pour boiling water down the bore and let it escape the breech. This washed fouling out, and heats the plug. Sometimes as it cools, again with the vice thing, you can move them out.

lemoyne 02-20-2009 06:09 AM

When working on old guns I use PB Blaster as it cuts rust the threads in an old gun used with corrosive powder are usually frozen with rust. I then do the out side around the breach plug after that I put it in one of my vises with the flat smooth brass pads I made for working on barrels, I put it in vertically and make sure there is a couple inches of PB Blaster in it; then I warm it just enough that it is to hot to touch and leave it set for 48 hours. After that I turn it over to the horizontal [for max gripping surface and use a 16 inch wrench to unscrew it. if things are in good enough shape to reuse after a though cleaning I put a light coat of synthetic oil and put some plumbers tape [the same as used to seal gas pipes] wrapped tight before screwing it back together. Lee

hunting junkie 02-20-2009 07:17 AM

I've had this happen and tryed everything, gave up stripped the gun.Took it down to my buddy shop,had to
use an easy-out on it and heat the barrel,as the inverted notches you speak of were broke off of one side.
If it comes down to this,which i'm sure it will, let the barrel cool on it's own do not help it cool.

TUK101 02-20-2009 07:40 AM

Yeah, I bought the gun this way. So I would imagine that it sat for at least a year since the last time that the plug was removed. I might have to try a can of PBlaster. I have used the stuff before and it worked well. WD-40 just doesn't work that well anymore, or at least as well as I remember it working when I was a kid. When I heated it, I did heat it from the inside, with the flame of the torch on low and going into the breech plug hole. Man, what a pain in the arse.

hunting junkie 02-20-2009 07:47 AM

Heat the top of the barrel where the breech screws into.

Redclub 02-20-2009 04:44 PM

If you use heat you have to expand the barrel and quickly You want to heat barrel only ,not the breech plug.
Redclub

merlin 7 09-20-2011 05:43 AM

stuck breech plug

I have had a stuck breech plug since 1998 due to removal with slotted tool rounding off the plug ridge on my original Knight Disc.
I got by with careful cleaning and forced air, but recently got a cleaning brush stuck in the barrel near plug. I bought PB Blaster and sprayed down barrel with a toothpick blocking hole and let it sit for 3 days. Then I bought some Kroil. I mounted barrel in a vice with leather to protect barrel, and squirted kroil around plug, then drilled out hole to fit my largest easyout, attached a 7/16 socket with extension and heated with a heat gun, (sort of a higher temp hair dryer used for paint removal) I squirted more Kroil around plug and amazingly after heating the breech plug spun out. I ordered a socket style new plug and anti-seize grease to fit gun from Natchez Supply. good to go! Kroil is the real deal