Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
CVA Accura MR QR Breech Plug Project >

CVA Accura MR QR Breech Plug Project

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Accura MR QR Breech Plug Project

Old 11-24-2016, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default CVA Accura MR QR Breech Plug Project

I'm working with Lehigh Defense on making a quality replacement plug for this ML and those that share the same plug. There will be a loose powder plug and pellet plug. I won't rule out one plug for all uses but right now the plan is two.

I've had this ML for over a year now. A few people didn't like my opinions on it but that's normal. I actually love just about everything about it except the breech plug. It's poorly designed, and very cheaply made. The goal is to make a quality plug with better ignition, better steel, and no shims. We have an idea to set the head space right on the plug for a clean reliable ignition source with all powders including BH209 my favorite.

Obviously do to the current design, we are limited to what we can do. I wish we could totally change the plug but that's just not possible. I've drawn up a complete redesign but that would mean barrel threads would need to change and some other things.

I love being involved with making products better. And I'm far from perfect, so any help or suggestions from board members would be greatly appreciated. My buddy Sabotloader is not a CVA fan, nor does he own one. I still don't think he believes I do So we will need a few volunteers to test the plug when ready. But we are in the very early stages and Lehigh Defense is a very busy company.

I'll update this thread when any news happens. All and this was my idea, and in no way will I be compensated for it. I'm good friends with Dave at Lehigh and enjoy being a part of developing new products and being able to test them.

Future plans at Lehigh are as follows in no special order. Improving T/C QR plug. A new premium ML bullet made out of Copper. A Sabotless fast twist ML bullet for shooting paper. And my favorite, designing the ultimate Hunting Muzzleloaders!!
Old 11-25-2016, 04:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Grouse - you really don't have to change the existing threads. You can run a sleeve into the existing threads with the new design installed into the sleeve which could have a real QD design?!? The actual BP could be nothing more than a tube that slips into the sleeve with a quick removing locking device.
You would just need some way to "lock" the sleeve in place.
It seems with this design, the BP could be quickly switched out for loose, pellets, or BH209.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Grouse45
I'm working with Lehigh Defense on making a quality replacement plug for this ML and those that share the same plug. There will be a loose powder plug and pellet plug. I won't rule out one plug for all uses but right now the plan is two.

I've had this ML for over a year now. A few people didn't like my opinions on it but that's normal. I actually love just about everything about it except the breech plug. It's poorly designed, and very cheaply made. The goal is to make a quality plug with better ignition, better steel, and no shims. We have an idea to set the head space right on the plug for a clean reliable ignition source with all powders including BH209 my favorite.

Obviously do to the current design, we are limited to what we can do. I wish we could totally change the plug but that's just not possible. I've drawn up a complete redesign but that would mean barrel threads would need to change and some other things.

I love being involved with making products better. And I'm far from perfect, so any help or suggestions from board members would be greatly appreciated. My buddy Sabotloader is not a CVA fan, nor does he own one. I still don't think he believes I do So we will need a few volunteers to test the plug when ready. But we are in the very early stages and Lehigh Defense is a very busy company.

I'll update this thread when any news happens. All and this was my idea, and in no way will I be compensated for it. I'm good friends with Dave at Lehigh and enjoy being a part of developing new products and being able to test them.

Future plans at Lehigh are as follows in no special order. Improving T/C QR plug. A new premium ML bullet made out of Copper. A Sabotless fast twist ML bullet for shooting paper. And my favorite, designing the ultimate Hunting Muzzleloaders!!

You are correct it is really hard for me to believe that one!

Although the project certainly could be a very good one!
Old 11-26-2016, 03:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
You are correct it is really hard for me to believe that one!

Although the project certainly could be a very good one!
It's the equivalent of putting a gold ring in a sows nose .
Old 11-26-2016, 07:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'd give a new design a try as a volunteer. Even though IMO I see nothing wrong with the original.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by 1874sharpsshooter
It's the equivalent of putting a gold ring in a sows nose .
Chet not sure what you mean by that. But without starting another war on CVAs I have zero complaints. My Accura V2 shoots great and everything I shot at with it either dropped in its tracks or only traveled a short distance. Same goes for my cousin's and my friend's. But I guess that's why there are different manufacturers out there and different styles of rifles. They may not be the best but they aren't the worse. And they fill a niche for the average Joe Hunter.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

They are without a doubt the best... I have had plenty of others from Knight to TC. The Accura beats them all hands down. Part of the reason is the breech plug... very well thought out and made.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:31 AM
Banned

My guess is the plug will be made like knights and made to run cleanly with one primer set up while the others are still dirty. The O rings and shim kits make all primer brands the cleanest.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

If the plug is setup for a Win209, i doesn't take a rocket scientist to set it up for a shorter primer which is pretty much ALL of them. The original Lehigh plug for Knights proved a mag primer is completely unnecessary with BH209 if the plug is well designed.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:14 AM
Banned

and not all can find the W209 primers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.