Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 BH209, Montana X-treme CS, Hoppe's #9...help! >

BH209, Montana X-treme CS, Hoppe's #9...help!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BH209, Montana X-treme CS, Hoppe's #9...help!

Old 02-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default BH209, Montana X-treme CS, Hoppe's #9...help!

Guys,

Here's the skinny, I want to try BH209 in my PH...pushing the SW250 and TEZ250's. My question centers around which solvent to use in cleaning the bore. I thought following Lee's recipe of 50/50 Hoppe's #9 and high test alcohol would be perfect. Now I'm seeing MX-CS may be the ticket. Both??? Also, is the MX-BC simply used to reduce T7 fowling? I read earlier that Cayugad thinks a good oil "MIGHT" be needed on top of the conditioner. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hammer
Old 02-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: BH209, Montana X-treme CS, Hoppe's #9...help!

Hammer49

Just my thoughts mind you and I am certainly no expert....

Lee's formula will certainly work and it should work well, personally I do not use the alcohol at all. Cleaning with Hoppes or MX-Cwboy are realy two different operations in my mind.

If you are shooting the gun and cleaning after shooting then Hoppes will work very well as a cleaner - I do not use the alcohol only because of its rapid evapaporation actually cools the bore and I would prefer it warm at least room temp if not warmer. Hoppes will work in the bore if given the time to work. Dry patching after completed with Hoppes should be done and then MX-BC applied to the bore - one patch several strokes both sides.

Cowboy or any such bore cleaner really does not need to be used everytime you clean. I use it after the gun has been shot a lot and when the gun is going to be stored for a length of time. Using a bore cleaner like Cowboy or Butches you need to applythe solution liberally and then let it sit in thehorizontal bore for an hour or so... then attack with Hoppes and finish with MX-BC. I neveruse a brush unless the bore is in bad shape.

We have been told by Western/Montana Extreme that MX-BC will protect the bore over time... If in doubt - safety is always the best way to go and if you feel more comfortable top it with a good bore oil. So far I am only using MX-BC - I have had several guns stored in the back bedroom open to the air since Dec 12 - all is still well with them.

One last thought... BH is a smokless progressive burning powder and the bore should/can be treated as you would your best centerfire gun

Just what I do - I now defer to the rest of the folks...
Old 02-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Any solvent is going to remove BlackHorn from the bore. The makers of BlackHorn suggest the Cowboy Solvent... BUT they also sell it. So it would make sense and cents I guess to recommend something you control the marketing of.

I have been testing the Montana X-treme products and have been very satisfied with them. When I shot BlackHorn, Hoppe's took the fouling out just fine.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am still resisting the urge to buy BH209. But I only have one inline. As for the solvents, from what I've seen with limited data collected, if you do not have access to the Montana X-treme products, then the Butch's Bore Shine should work equally well.
As for using the solvents, if seems as though Sabotloader and I have a slight disagreement. Even when I clean my MLs with the hot water bath and rinse, I use the Butch's (and trying the CS). I also use them on a cotton swab to clean the snail and other hard to reach areas.
And I am also going to use the MX BC for a while to see how it reacts to fouling and accuracy tests.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ok, a couple of points,
#1 one thing you do not do with BH209 is the soap and hot water bit, if you decied to do it any way do it when you have plenty of time and the mess won't get you in trouble with the wife.

#2 While I have not said much about it I have had the montana X Treme products for quite some time as I usually try the recommended products with a powder, they work just fine and give me very similar results to the Birchwood Casey synthetic oil and the 50/50 mix of alk and #9.

I live in AR and during a good part of the year here it is hot and it is a problem to keep a gun reasonably cool when you shoot it much, the alk/ #9 helps and does a good job of cleaning, I tried 91% alk by it self and it cleans and cools quite well but I had a flash rust incident and so no more pure alk.
I hope this clears things up a bit for you. I don't expect you will have any problems with either cleaning solution; just remember to use either the bore conditioner or the Birchwood Casey synthetic oil if you like the first shot to be in the group. Lee
PS. never use solvent with out some kind of oil behind it most cleaners can cause rust.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

yall

If you haveshot BH 209 @a range session you will see what Leeis talking about when it comes to cooling he barrel.

In my various outings with the powder I could not believe how much more BH heated the barrel, far moreheat than T7.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

yall

If you haveshot BH 209 @a range session you will see what Leeis talking about when it comes to cooling he barrel.

In my various outings with the powder I could not believe how much more BH heated the barrel, far moreheat than T7.

I've noticed this as well. In TN we don't get a lot of cold weather so getting the barrel to cool between shots can be time consuming. With all other powders I use straight alcohol to help cool in between shots but obviously I don't use anythign w/BH. Which makes the range time even longer.

But to answer your question Hammer49: I have used both Hoppes and just alcohol and I get the same results. I'm normally in no hurry to clean my guns so I can't say that one is quicker than the other.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Remington Express Clean Solvent (Traditions) to clean BH209 out of my bore. There's really no need for harsh solvents with this stuff. The Rem Solvent is very mild and actually smells good.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mike, you suppose that[the hot barrel]is because you can shoot 3 or four times with BH while the guy next to you is trying to get the crud ring out?
I don't believe that it heats the barrel any more per shot, it is just so much easier to get off a lot more shots. I also believe that in some guns the accuracy is noticably better, have seen a couple that did not like it to.
It seems like most of the guys that shoot next to me a time or two come back with BH it got to the point where the local sports store quit ordering for individuals and started stocking it on the shelves. Lee
Old 02-17-2009, 07:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

you suppose that[the hot barrel]is because you can shoot 3 or four times with BH while the guy next to you is trying to get the crud ring out?
Ifn you ever get to North Idaho, bring a gun and lets go shooting.... Honestly Lee I shoot at the same rate with T7 as I do with BH. I do not have the patience to wait as long between shots as I am suppose to. I shoot walk back to the truck (10')- patch - measure - assemble - push it down the bore - prime - walk back and shoot again. Theonly thing that changes is no patch with BH, but that is less than a 5 second activity.

Recently in a shooting expediton @ the farm I shot 15 shots? with T7 and I think I only ran a patch 2 times and that was a dry patch. I posted it on here someplace.

I know when I do shoot BH - each time I have noticed the barrel heats quicker and gets hotter and stays hotter longer.... which - who cares if you are hunting - one shot and your are done anyway- it is not big deal. and if you are at the range on a warm day I guess you couldbring a book to read if the barrel heat becomesa problem.

Quick Reply: BH209, Montana X-treme CS, Hoppe's #9...help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.