Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Blackhorn Test Aborted - Mustang Down >

Blackhorn Test Aborted - Mustang Down

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blackhorn Test Aborted - Mustang Down

Old 02-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Blackhorn Test Aborted - Mustang Down

BUMMER!

Most of you know that back in December I tried Blackhorn in the Mustang with the.25 ACP breechplug. I usedsmall rifle magnum primers and had delayed ignition on every shot and several failures to fire. After that shoot I ordered a new 209 breechplug from Lyman for a second try with Blackhorn.

Well, that second try was today.

I loaded the Mustang'sclean dry barrel with 105 grains of Blackhorn anda 300 grain Gold Dot in a Harvester short black sabot. I put aCCI 209 primer in the new breechplug andtook aim at a 100 yard target. When Igently squeezed the trigger the primer went POP but the gun didn't go BOOM.Dang! Put in another primer, pulled the trigger - POP/NO BANG. Dang! Dang!

At this pointI'm getting "slightly agitated". I had thepan primer for my flintlock in the shooting box, so I used it to sifta little FFFg GOEXdown into the bottom of the primer hole, thenput a fresh209 in over the black powder. When I sat down at the bench again I was thinking "this GOEX boosted 209 is surely going to do the job". Squeezed the trigger. Click - NO POP. No POP? What the hell???? Opened the breech - no dimple on the primer. Closed the breech, pulled the trigger again. Click - NO POP.

Opened the breech again, and stillno dimple on the primer. DANG!!!! The firing pin is broken.At this point my"slight agitation" turned into mild cussing session. Stuff happens, huh? What really bothers me is that those first two primers that did go off did not ignite the Blackhorn. I won't find out until I get the firing pin fixed, but it might be that the Mustang's breech plug just won't work with Blackhorn.

I was sure gladI'dbrought along the Omega X7 and the .45 Renegade. So, instead of a afternoon with the Mustang and Blackhorn I gave those two fine riflesa littleworkout (report later).
Old 02-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Blackhorn Test Aborted - Mustang Down

man that sucks, sorry to hear that semi
Old 02-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I am sad to hear that the Mustang broke down. Now we will get to see how well Lymans customer service is.

Glad you took a couple rifles so the day was not a total loss..
Old 02-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry for your loss
Old 02-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry ta hear about the broke pin

But your plug will need about a 1/8 inch flame channel, with at Least a .035 -.040 exit flash hole--that would be between about a #64-60 Numbered drill bit for the flash hole.

Let us know how it goes after the repair
Old 02-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: LaneNebraska

Sorry ta hear about the broke pin But your plug will need about a 1/8 inch flame channel, with at Least a .035 -.040 exit flash hole--that would be between about a #64-60 Numbered drill bit for the flash hole. Let us know how it goes after the repair
The flash hole on the Mustang plug is .035, but the flame channel is closer to 3/8" long. It looks like that may be a problem. The face of the plug is flat. I may have to dish it out to shorten the channel.

Does anyone see a problem with doing that?
Old 02-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Sorry ta hear about the broke pin But your plug will need about a 1/8 inch flame channel, with at Least a .035 -.040 exit flash hole--that would be between about a #64-60 Numbered drill bit for the flash hole. Let us know how it goes after the repair
The flash hole on the Mustang plug is .035, but the flame channel is closer to 3/8" long. It looks like that may be a problem. The face of the plug is flat. I may have to dish it out to shorten the channel.

Does anyone see a problem with doing that?
Semi

I was referring to the 1/8 diameter of the flame channel not the length. Sorry for the confusion
Old 02-09-2009, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Semi

I was referring to the 1/8 diameter of the flame channel not the length. Sorry for the confusion
1/8 DIAMETER??? WOW. Supposedly my Omega would shoot Blackhorn yet my flashhole is WAY narrower than that?
Old 02-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

spaniel

Andy, when they are talking about the 1/8" flash channel - they are talking abouth the channel directly under the primer that leads to the flash hole in the end of the BP. When shooting BH mine (flash channel) clogs up very quickly and the substance is very hard - kinda lke the worst 'crud ring' except in the BP instead of the bore.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Sabotloader, in your plug how long is the .035 flash hole channel - measured from the end of the 1/8" flame channel to theface of the plug?

Quick Reply: Blackhorn Test Aborted - Mustang Down

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.