Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 testing Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner >

testing Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

testing Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner

Old 01-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Default testing Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner

I have a couple rifles treated with the Montana X-treme bore conditioner right now. A White Bison, a CVA Staghorn Magnum, and a Remington Genesis. So I decided it looked half way nice outside compared to the last four days. Boy was I wrong!!!

The thermometer at the yard said eight degrees. It did not look all that windy but I was really wrong. I have no idea what the windchill was out there, but it was kind of brutal.

I had the CVA Staghorn Magnum. I took a dry patch and swabbed the bore before I started this mistake to shoot today. I did pop a primer through the bore. I then loaded 90 grains of Triple Seven 2f powder and a 350 gr Hornady FPB.

The shooting was done at 50 yards. The snowing was coming down and the wind howling. I shot the first shot and was happy with that. I had a patch I had misted with Windex so I swabbed the bore and did not run a dry patch. I then loaded and shot number #2. I swabbed again with the same patch which I admit was very dirty. I then loaded and shot #3.

I leaned the rifle against the shooting bench and walked up to look at the target. And when I was walking back, I saw the rifle slide sideways and disappear in the snow. So I realized I would have to go back to the house to check the rifle over and clean off the snow, and with the weather what it was, decided to call it a day.

Warmer weather is coming. And I can wait. This really was not much of a test for the bore conditioner or the new bullets. But all of them do show some promise. Clean up was easy. I put some Windex on a patch and swabbed the bore clean in three patches. Then some dry patches. And finally gave it another Montana X-treme bore treatment.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: testing Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner

Is the bore conditional suppose to keep the crud ring that you get with T7 easier to deal with?
Old 01-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Dominant Buck

At this stage I can not say. It is suppose to make fowling easier to remove and not form. I never had a crud ring today, but then I did not shoot long enough to have much of anything.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

In m y Pro Hunter I had a crud ring begin after the 1 st shot of T7. cayugad, good test i will be interested to see what your findings are. I don't think T7 was that bad a shooting powder, i just found it a real pain to constantly swab between shots. After shoot cleaning was dirty as well but no something that bothered me. I do it no ,matter what I shoot, but the range time it was horrible for m,e.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buck Hunter 1

In m y Pro Hunter I had a crud ring begin after the 1 st shot of T7. cayugad, good test i will be interested to see what your findings are.

same thing here with mine first one goes down easy,the rest you gotta
jackhammer down
Old 01-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Dominant Buck

These FPB's loaded really easy. I was kind of concerned after reading some of the posts by other members about the tight bore on the CVA when they were trying the FPB's. The conical was easy to load, popped it under the muzzle and then it slid down real good with the range rod. Its a shame it was so cold out there or I would have had a lot more time with these things. And I wanted to see how the bore conditioner would do.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

I ran over to Colton and did some trap shooting this afternoon - it was 22 degrees and breezy - i thought that was kinda cool...

I hope you keep your weather there though because I weather people here say we will not get a change until the Low leaves the midwest...
Old 01-17-2009, 03:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Well it has warmed up.. it was above zero. Just there was a wind coming off Lake Superior that was a little brisk today. Maybe tomorrow. They said it is supposed to snow still, but I don't mind shooting in the snow.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

This morning I got a Renegade out, it is the one that I use for PRB, shooting. I alcoholed the barrel to get everythng I could out, probably should have boiled it out - but anyway I ran a patch of MX and plan on shooting it next @ the farm. First application of MX in it - so it might not be as good as I hope - but you gave the itch to shoot a sidehammer - so it is next...
Old 01-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

Being new.... why and how do you condition the barrel, i put a little bore butter in when i put them up for the season. a light coat thats all.

Quick Reply: testing Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.