Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Octogonal Barrels and Scope Mounts??? >

Octogonal Barrels and Scope Mounts???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Octogonal Barrels and Scope Mounts???

Old 01-11-2009, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Octogonal Barrels and Scope Mounts???

I am thinking of putting a scopeonmy Hawkens Carbine. But, I am at a lose to know anything about a base mount for an octogonal barrel. Where do I find one if they are available? And please don't beat me up for putting a scope on a traditional gun.

With this one gun I don't care about politicallycorrectness. I want functionality, myeyes ain't what they once were when I was eighteen!!!
Old 01-11-2009, 08:13 AM
mountaineer magic

Default RE: Octogonal Barrels and Scope Mounts???

something like these might work. They fit octagonal barrels.
T/c used to make some others for the hawken, You might try Mid-Way also. Good luck
http://cgi.ebay.com/Thompson-Center-...031210002r1800

Old 01-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

rafsob
A few years back when I had my shop I mounted a number of scopes on octagon barrels, weaver sells a one peice base [I dont remember the number] that is completely flat and it works fine. They don't advertise it for this use and you need to take the hammer throw and the fact that you needto clear the hammer into consideration when you buy the scope[ you need to get medium long eye relief or reshape the hammer] and when you place your mounting holes. Lee
Old 01-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Dominant Buck

T/C for years carried a mount that would clear the hammer on the rifle. CVA also did. But I think through just lack of interest (because traditional shooters did not use scope and a lot of states out lawed them at the time) the sale of these items was so poor that they kind of faded away. There are some out there floating around.

What make of Hawkins carbine do you have as the distance on the flats and the hole patterns change from brand to brand. I have a few sets of scope plates that you can then add a weaver base to, and then your set of rings. I can find them and see if they might help you.. if you give me the make of the Hawkins.

I never tried those gorilla grips. I will have to call T/C some time and talk to them about those things.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

I did this with my white mtn carbine. I had a Weaver rail laying around from my 30-06, curved bottom. I clamped it onto a milling machine, flattened the bottom and then drilled 1 extra hole to match the spacing of the existing screws forthe rear sight. This put the scope forward enough to clear the hammer. I used a red dot withno magnification and unlimited eye relief so the forward mount is not a problem. I works good and helps my tired eyes.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

T/C for years carried a mount that would clear the hammer on the rifle. CVA also did. But I think through just lack of interest (because traditional shooters did not use scope and a lot of states out lawed them at the time) the sale of these items was so poor that they kind of faded away. There are some out there floating around.

What make of Hawkins carbine do you have as the distance on the flats and the hole patterns change from brand to brand. I have a few sets of scope plates that you can then add a weaver base to, and then your set of rings. I can find them and see if they might help you.. if you give me the make of the Hawkins.

I never tried those gorilla grips. I will have to call T/C some time and talk to them about those things.
Thanks for teh suggestions guys.

Dave, it is an InvestArms Hawken Carbine that I got from Cabalas.

Idon'tknow, maybe Ishouldjust leave the scopestothe inlines and find a good peepsight for thecarbine. It is just that the eye sight is not getting anybetter and I need some help.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: rafsob

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Thanks for teh suggestions guys.

Dave, it is an InvestArms Hawken Carbine that I got from Cabalas.

Idon'tknow, maybe Ishouldjust leave the scopestothe inlines and find a good peepsight for thecarbine. It is just that the eye sight is not getting anybetter and I need some help.
rafsob, I have the same rifle you have, Investarms made them for Cabelas, I also have TC. and Green mountain barrels which are the same as far as the scope mounts, but Investarms is different.

The top one is a green mountain barrel, second one is Investarms, And the third is a renegade with a weaver mount that is hard to find

The Investarms doesn't have the hole tapped back by the hammer formounting.

Another picture

Old 01-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Dominant Buck

I checked those plates I have and they are not for that brand rifle... Sorry I could not be of help. How well do those Gorilla Grips work?
Old 01-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: chetmarks

something like these might work. They fit octagonal barrels.
T/c used to make some others for the hawken, You might try Mid-Way also. Good luck
http://cgi.ebay.com/Thompson-Center-Muzzleloader-Rifle-Scope-Rings-&-Mounts_W0QQitemZ260341294529QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ2 0090103?IMSfp=TL0901031210002r1800
I can't figure outhow these work??? Are they glued on to thebarrel? Or dothe bases get screwed into the barrel like normal bases? Help!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

I would think they would have to get screwed on, It says they have "multiple mounting positions"

I've seen some that kinda clamp to the side of an octagon barrel, but I don't know if I would trust that. I guess you could take it to a gunsmith, have it drilled and tapped and then put a pistol scope on so you could have enough room for the hammer.

Quick Reply: Octogonal Barrels and Scope Mounts???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.