Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Will Tripple 7 pellets shoot the same as regular Pyrodex? >

Will Tripple 7 pellets shoot the same as regular Pyrodex?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Will Tripple 7 pellets shoot the same as regular Pyrodex?

Old 01-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Will Tripple 7 pellets shoot the same as regular Pyrodex?

I have been shooting regular 50/50 Pyrodex pellets as they are slightly cheaper. I had used my last 100 pack box and have had trouble finding more and if you buy it in the packs at Wal-Mart or dicks with 24 pellets in each pack it's way more expensive than even the tripple 7. Anyway, I found some 50/50 tripple 7 pellets at a local gun shot and he assured me they would shoot the same and that I wouldn't need to resight in my gun. He told me the only difference is that they shoot cleaner and the 100 pack box was a couple $ more. Is this true? Will the gun shoot the same as it does with the regular Pyrodex pellets? As in will I have to resight my old gun in since it's used to shooting the regular ones? Also if I sight my new one in using these then later switch to the cheaper ones will I have to adjust the scope on it or should it be the same?

Are the Tripple 7 pellets any better than the regluar Pyrodex ones?
Old 01-10-2009, 09:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Will Tripple 7 pellets shoot the same as regular Pyrodex?

The Triple Seven and Pyrodex pellets are supposed to be equal, but when I tested one against the other, there was a different POI between them. It was not much, but as I remember the Triple Seven hits were a little higher and to the right in the same rifle, with the same load.

It will be close, but I would recommend a range session to double check. Also watcht the breech for a hard crud build up when shoot Triple Seven. Nothing swabbing will not cure though.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:11 AM
Typical Buck

same here once u use T7 u wont go back to that stincken PYRODEX .the T7 is a lot easier to clean .soapand water will do just fine .no need to buy a lot of expensive cleaning products ..if my memory is right cayugad
has a good cleaning formula ..which i use now ..
Old 01-11-2009, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

Only one way to find out...
Old 01-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

To be sure, you'll have to go out and shoot. However, they should be relatively close to where your Pyrodex pellets were hitting. T7 is a bit hotter & I believe has a different burn rate, so you'll probably have to make at least a minor sight adjustment.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:53 AM
mountaineer magic

I only tried switching from pyrodex to 777 in 2 different inlines. Both shot a higher POI. and one went to a vertical string ( 6 shots in a 6" line)instead of a group. I switched primers( from winchester to federal) and it returned to grouping instead of stringing. It may be close but I would definitely shoot it before just switching and hunting with it.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

hometheaterman
They achieve approximately the same velocity, but the burning rates are different which changes the whip or vibration of the barrel, this will usually change the POI, The residue of 777 is also much harder and sometimes you will have to scrub it out every shot to maintain accuracy. Lee