Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Difference between Pyrodex,Triple 7, and Black powder???????? >

Difference between Pyrodex,Triple 7, and Black powder????????

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Difference between Pyrodex,Triple 7, and Black powder????????

Old 01-10-2009, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Difference between Pyrodex,Triple 7, and Black powder????????

When sighting in a black powder rifle will changing between Pyrodex RS, Triple 7 FFG, and Goex FFG change the point of impact? I know they are FFG but was wondering if it changed, because today I sighted my rifle in with triple 7 FFG and I am almost out, and I have some Pyrodex RS and Goex FFG laying around. Or would it possibly shoot one better than the other. I would think that they all would shoot the same, but im a newbie at these smokepoles
Old 01-10-2009, 02:49 PM
mountaineer magic

Default RE: Difference between Pyrodex,Triple 7, and Black powder????????

i have switched powders with several of my inlines and get a different POI. I get a higher POI with 777 than with APP or pyrodex. that is why I am finishing my hunting with 777. I have to sight in with whichever powder I plan on hunting with. Blackhorn even gave me a higher POI than 777 when I tried it in my Triumph.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Dominant Buck

yes changing powder can have a big effect on POI. When you change powders you change barrel pressures, burn times, and other factors. Any time you start changing the specifications on a load, you change the POI.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

I was told that if hunting in damp conditions that the black powder has a better chances of igniting than the triple 7. That is why I was trying to save my black powder. Is there any truth to that? cuz I would rather stay with the triple 7 because of the accuracy I had with it today, but I dont want to have a misfire in the woods.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:06 PM
mountaineer magic

ORIGINAL: shooter50

I was told that if hunting in damp conditions that the black powder has a better chances of igniting than the triple 7. That is why I was trying to save my black powder. Is there any truth to that? cuz I would rather stay with the triple 7 because of the accuracy I had with it today, but I dont want to have a misfire in the woods.
'I hunted all season with 777 in my inlines and my percussion. I never had a problem in the cold,snow,rain or anything else. Just keep the barrel and cap covered in severe weather and don't take the gun into a warm area where condensation may affect it, If in doubt fire it off and start with a fresh load the next trip out. I use to use black powder in the 80's but the substitutes are all I use now without any problems. If I was using a Flintlock then I would go back to blackpowder. I think 777 will do fine if you have an accurate load worked up.