Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 295 Powerbelt exit wound >

295 Powerbelt exit wound

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

295 Powerbelt exit wound

Old 12-15-2008, 04:56 AM

Default 295 Powerbelt exit wound

I shot this Button on Friday and cut it up yesterday. The shot was 30 yds. with a 295gr. Powerbelt Copper Aerotip over 2 50gr. Pyrodex pellets. All I saw through the smoke was feet and belly up. The deer was dead when it landed. I caught the top of the lung and bottom of spine. Just a bit high for my liking but effective. I love my new TC X-7.
[img=http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/8411/img0084mf2.th.jpg]
Old 12-15-2008, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 295 Powerbelt exit wound

ORIGINAL: Ken Catch

I shot this Button on Friday and cut it up yesterday. The shot was 30 yds. with a 295gr. Powerbelt Copper Aerotip over 2 50gr. Pyrodex pellets. All I saw through the smoke was feet and belly up. The deer was dead when it landed. I caught the top of the lung and bottom of spine. Just a bit high for my liking but effective. I love my new TC X-7.
[img=http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/8411/img0084mf2.th.jpg]
Congrad, there is not a thing on earth that will walk away from a hole like that in the chest.I am glad you like them.

</opinion>
You shot a young deer and you shot a "bow shot". It has been my experience for aBIG 250 lb buck (on the hoof) in the shoulder with that load you will have some issues. I have been there done that, never again--I use strong bullets. That penetrate, don't fragment, always expand and shoot thru.
</end opinion>

Thanks for the picture.
Chap
Old 12-15-2008, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the picture Ken! I too shot the 29 grain powerbelt, and so far I am happy with it. I shot a small doe a couple of weeks ago, and it was a bang flop, she never took another step. O was shooting the Hollow point, and didnt get a pass thru, which I would have liked, but the did exactly what it was suppose to to. Did not fragment, and mushroomed great. I was shooting it with 80 grains of 777 loose powder. Congrats on the BB.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I shot a nice 8 point buck with a 295 grain Powerbelt hollow point from around 123 yards and he went maybe 15-20 yards and fell and couldn't get up. It didn't pass through but I was happy with it. I haven't had a reason to use anything else.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats

+
Old 12-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Banned

Thats one hell of an exit hole. Congrats!
Old 12-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Ken, do you have a scope on that X7, or are you shooting with the factory peep? Congrats on the BANG-FLOP.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Dominant Buck

WOW!! now that's an exit hole. Congratulations on that deer.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:19 AM

Chap
I live on a small island off of Cape Cod not known for big deer just a lot. We do have some good bucks though and I would hate to lose out on one when the opportunity presents itself. Most of my shots are 50yds or less and a few times they may get out to 100yds. Most of the island is covered with dense stands of scrub oak and pitch pine or wetlands that are impenetrable and much of the open field areas are private or unhuntable due to the proximity of houses. I also like to get closer to my game as it makes for more of a challenge. So this is why I went with the 295 Powerbelt and had a bow shot. I used SW's last year and didn't get the good expansion just pass through pinholes at a closer range.

Semisane
I am using the Williams peep on the X-7. I debated a scope but decided against it after sighting in the peep. With the shorter shots I see I felt that the scope would limit my ability to quickly acquire the target in the dense brush.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is a great exit wound but I would not expect that every time. I shot a nice buck last year with that same bullet at 15 yards. Granted I was using 150 grains of American Pioneer Pellets and the bullet never expanded at all. The entrance and exit wounds were small andI had no blood (Shot Placement was perfect behind the shoulder Double Lung no bones hit). I have since switched to Barnes Expanders and the deer I have shot this year have had huge wound channels and easy blood trails to follow. I'm sold on Barnes bullets. I have heard some peolpe say they are expensive but whenI see Powerbelts and Shockwaves on the shelf they are really the same price. Even if they were more the performance would be worth the extra cost in my opinion.

Quick Reply: 295 Powerbelt exit wound

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.