Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Small Game w/muzzleloader? >

Small Game w/muzzleloader?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Small Game w/muzzleloader?

Old 12-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Small Game w/muzzleloader?

I know the with deer seasons in now the posts pretain to 45 and 50cal rifles. But how many hunt small game with a smokepole? Before moving to Maryland I hunted squirrel in New Jersey that had a special season. I used a 36cal Hatfield and it was a lot of fun!

Old 12-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Small Game w/muzzleloader?

In the past i have huntedsmall game with two very old but well maintained guns. Gave it up because the sights on those guns are not very good. For several years i have hunted rabbits and squirrels withmy .50CVA StagHorn. The load is 70 grains of Pyrodex RS(soon to be 70 grains of 2F Goex Pinnacle) and either a .430 XTP or a lead .430 SWC in a Knight sabot.The gun has a real good scope and I do head shots only. If a hog comes by that load will dropit dead too.

i oftenhead shootsquirrels and rabbits while hog hunting with a full power load in that CVA gun.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I own two flintlocks, both custom made...One in .40 and one in .54...The .54 is for deer, the .40 handles the smaller stuff...There is something neat about loading that .40 up with 25grs of FFF and clipping a squirrel in the head with it...
Old 12-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Banned

ive found the .36cal to tear the rabbits apart worse than a 50cal
Old 12-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Groundhogs in the summer make excellent practice.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Dominant Buck

I small game hunt with a roundball out of my Knight Wolverine.. its scoped and shoots very accurate with 50 grains and a patched ball.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:17 PM

I use a Pellet Gun for Squirrel and Rabbits. My Muzzy's are a tab over powered for them critters.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have 3 PRB rifles,twoTC a Hawken I won years ago in a shooting match a 45 and a renegade 54 also a Hawken I built myself from a set of plans from a Hawken in the ST Louis museum; there is also my system one [1 in 38 twist] which will shoot a very nice group with a PRB and 90 gr P.
For a lot of things I use PRB but for Grouse, dove and quail i use a 28 gage power piston and shot.
I also have a Ruger Black Powder which I have taken both big and small game with over the years.Lee
Old 12-15-2008, 08:45 AM

Popped a sitting cottontail with a prb from my .50 cal flintlock Saturday. Was still hunting for deer, but I'd never pass up a fried rabbit supper. 80 grains Goex is surely overkill, but that's what was in the tube, so... Didn't turn out too bad as it hit right at the head/neck junction. Just one less thing I had to cut off & discard when I dressed it.

Would love to have a smoothbore flinter, but don't think there is a drop-in shotgun barrel on the market for my gun, and a new gun is out of the question for now. But it's first on my list when funds are available!
Old 12-15-2008, 09:50 AM
mountaineer magic

I got a 32 cal. Crockett for my kids first ML. I like to shoot it as much as he does. It's a great small game rifle.Round ball and 25 to 30 gr t7 or pyrodex .Sighted in at 25 yards for him

Quick Reply: Small Game w/muzzleloader?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.