Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Who uses Goex Pinnacle? >

Who uses Goex Pinnacle?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Who uses Goex Pinnacle?

Old 12-10-2008, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Who uses Goex Pinnacle?

I'm getting ready to do some testing with my Remington Genesis very soon. I have a few bottles of BH209 on order and I want to also test Goex Pinnacle pellets. I read on chuckhawk that the Goex Pinnacle is very clean, has low corrosivity and ignites easily. It sounds like this would be a good product to use, if BH209 is unavailable, to keep the crud to a minimum and have the convenience of pellets.

So who uses/has used it and what do you think of it???
Old 12-10-2008, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Who uses Goex Pinnacle?

I use Goex Pinnacle 2F and 3F granular exclusively. It is the best powder i have used to date. Pinnacleis about equal to Pyrodex granular in power. Like JSG, Pinnacle has a very very good time to pressure and relatively flat burning curve. Because of this it is able to extract a decent velocity fromlower pressure.

Cleanup of the gun is very easy with just water and patches. Unlike 777 there is no crud ring to deal with. The breech plug comes out easily after 20 rounds are fired: another advantage over Pyrodex and 777.

According to Towsley, Goex Pinnacle pellets are problematic and are not very consistent. The extreme spread and standard deviationare both high.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have you had any issues with it?
Old 12-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I've only tested about four pounds of it. I like the Pinnacle 3f over the 2f. The 2f was far too course for me. The 3f shot very well for me in loose form. I never shot the pellets.

Like already mentions, clean up is easy. About two soap and water patches and then some dry patches and the rifle is clean. It will take you longer to clean the breech plug actually.

I never hunted with the powder. I did strictly range work. I never noticed the moisture problems many claim the powder has, but I would only be outside a few hours a day with the powder.

I once shot 12 sabot/240 XTP's out of my Wolverine and never swabbed the barrel. Accuracy was exceptional. I could have shot more, but ran out of bullets...

The 3f also works great in my black powder revolver...
Old 12-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I've only tested about four pounds of it. I like the Pinnacle 3f over the 2f. The 2f was far too course for me. The 3f shot very well for me in loose form. I never shot the pellets.

Like already mentions, clean up is easy. About two soap and water patches and then some dry patches and the rifle is clean. It will take you longer to clean the breech plug actually.

I never hunted with the powder. I did strictly range work. I never noticed the moisture problems many claim the powder has, but I would only be outside a few hours a day with the powder.

I once shot 12 sabot/240 XTP's out of my Wolverine and never swabbed the barrel. Accuracy was exceptional. I could have shot more, but ran out of bullets...

The 3f also works great in my black powder revolver...
How long ago was that? It seems there are a lot of people who have claimed erratic velocities with this powder. But then some other people like it. Is there a specific reason why you do use it all the time? Like things you don't particularly like about it?
Old 12-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Dominant Buck

I never ran it over a chronograph and never shot it over 100 yards. It is hard to get in my area. That's one reason I don't shoot it. I was down in the southern end of the state and ran across it. And I ordered it once. If I could find the 3f again, I would buy a pound of it. My revolver really likes it. And it shoots good in traditional rifles as well.

It has to be a couple years since I shot it.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Have you had any issues with it?

If a person does not want to lean on the ramrod while loading a tight fitting sabot this is the wrong powder for him/her. The 250 grain SST/Shockwave in the tight fitting red and the black sabots make really good groups when fired from my Encore. The Hornady three petal Easy Loads make bigger groups and the Super Glides make 6-8" groups.

Killed this big sow and her sister on Sunday with 120 grains of 2F Pinnacle and the 350 grain FPB bullets. Two shots, two hogs. Big recovery/loading operation.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Dominant Buck

WOW!! nice hog. Did you get a pass through with that FPB? Also how far did that sow run after being shot? Last, how can you eat all that pork?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Did you get a pass through with that FPB?
Yes, the exit hole is about .75" or larger. See attached photo. She weighed 188 pounds field dressed.

Also how far did that sow run after being shot?
She did not run at all, just flopped deeper into the water and mud. Never even kicked. This sow was the second one to be shot out of that group of hogs.

The firsthog i shotbangflopped deeper into the water and mud. That first one was shot in the heart and lungs. There werepieces of rib bonespoking through the hair and mud. Gave her away muddy to a guy who had hog hunted all weekend with no luck.

After i killed the first one they milled around in the water while i reloaded and shot this one.

Last, how can you eat all that pork?
Have enough pork from a hog i kept a few weeks ago. Gave this one away clean to the guy i borrowed the trailer from. BTW:Those bullets may be worth $1.00 each.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Dominant Buck

very cool... thanks a lot.