Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Breech Plug Stuck!! Any Help >

Breech Plug Stuck!! Any Help

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breech Plug Stuck!! Any Help

Old 11-30-2008, 04:40 PM

Default Breech Plug Stuck!! Any Help

I have a CVA inline staghorn and I cannot remove the breech plug. I've tried everything I can think of and nothing seems to work. Any good idea's without sending it off somewhere.[/align]
Old 11-30-2008, 04:48 PM
mountaineer magic

Default RE: Breech Plug Stuck!! Any Help

It is probably stuck from the fouling. They can stick if they are not greased real well or if to many shots are taken without re-greasing it. especially with triple 7. I would put some black powder solvent down the barrel and let it sit, hopefully a little will work into the threads . Then get a wrench and try to back it out. If you can even get a couple of turns then you can add some solvent around the threads and keep going till it comes out. i had a friend that literally had to put his in a vise and strained every muscle trying to get it out. Good luck.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

If you can get it to move even a little,soak it again and retighten it. keep working it back and forth,it will come out eventually.

Charlie
Old 11-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Slickhead King

There will be a lot of responses on this a stuck breech plug is not all that uncommon.

If it were me - i would remove the action from the stock and the scope also if it has one. Boil some hot water andset the action in a bucket and pore boiling water in the bucket above the breech plug... Pore some water down the barrel also... let it sit in there for awhile then try removing the plug.... the heat will cause expansion of both the barrel and the BP but the barrel will expand more - it should crack the seal and allow water into the BP threads...

The other method of letting it soak in a penetrating oil will work also - just takes longer...
Old 11-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Dominant Buck

I have used the boiling water method and for a kicker, have a buck of ice water also. After you boil the barrel, then plop that into a bucket of ice water. Often the rapid contraction/expansion of the metal and then put the part where the barrel locks to the stock in a vice. Some cloth on both sides of that block will protect it when it is in the vice. Get a wrench on it real fast and tap that wrench with a hammer lightly. Then start to turn it. When you get it to turn a little, turn it back and fourth. It will loosen up the fowling. And then turn it out slowly.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

i had the same problem with my staghorn when i first got it. and i fixed it the only way i know how.... curse, WD40, curse, elbow grease, more elbow grease, curse, some hot water, and finally CHEER. but no really its a pain in the A$$.

i pulled the barrel off and clamped it to my bench, and used allot of anti rust and solvent on it. it took about 20 minutes to get it out. but once i cleaned it, i make sure it always gets a nice coat of hoppes gun oil and CVA anti seize stick. and i will come out every time.

good luck, and don't get frustrated with it. love thy gun..
Old 11-30-2008, 06:33 PM

good luck, and don't get frustrated with it. love thy gun..
Easier said than done. Extremly frustated with it, but yes I love the gun. Shoots Great!
Old 11-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Another trick is.. if your on the range, every ten shots or so is take the breech plug and give it a twist back and fourth. That way the fowling is not getting set. I wrap my plugs with teflon tape and then use Slick 50 One Grease and smear the tape good, then put it back in. It works good then. My Staghorn is a great shooter. While it is old school technology, it will shoot with the best of them.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Slickhead King- jayman035

I normally wrap my plugs in teflon tape and have not had any such problems since I started that process.

Check this post near the end of the first page... hopefully this would work for you as well as it has for me...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2985401&mpage=1
Old 12-01-2008, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

A few years ago my friend and neighbor forgot to clean his nice Knight Disc rifle for about a year. The breech plug would not budge. We poured some Windex with vinegar down the bore and left it sit for a few hours and the breech plug came out. Strange thing; after cleaning the bore there was very little rust.