HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Shipping a muzzleloader? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/274748-shipping-muzzleloader.html)

driftrider 11-21-2008 10:20 AM

Shipping a muzzleloader?

My brother got skunked this year during the MN rifle season, and he has three rifle tags that he wants to convert to ML tags, but he does not have a ML to hunt with. He mentioned this to me and I got to thinking that I have a couple extra ML's laying around in excellent condition that I don't use anymore since I got my Savage 10ML-II, one of which would make an excellent Christmas gift. I would like to send him my Traditions inline as a Christmas surprise, but I'm not sure how to ship it to him. I know that shipping a ML direct is legal without using an FFL transfer in most states, but I'd like to know if there are any MN specific laws regulating this, and should I use UPS or USPS. I want to avoid any hassle from ignorant shipping clerks, so I need to know how to declare it to make sure they don't have a panic attack. I plan to pack it in the box that my Savage came in (the Traditions box got ruined when my water heater burst a couple years ago), and I'm going to wrap it to conceal the "SavageArms" logo so no one gets any ideas. So is there anything I need to know to make this happen?

Thanks,

Mike

bronko22000 11-21-2008 10:29 AM

RE: Shipping a muzzleloader?

I don't think MN has any restrictions but wait for one of the memebers from thereto answer. If it were me, I'd go to Walmart and get a roll of the plain brown wrapping paper and wrap the box in that. Also I would send it via US Mail Priority Mail.

UncleNorby 11-21-2008 10:37 AM

MLs are shipped in the mail/ground carriersall the time. That's how I got mine from Cabela's.

Call a carrier like UPS or FedEx and ask them what you need to do. It's painless I'm sure. I would insure the package however.

cayugad 11-21-2008 10:52 AM

I ship my rifles UPS (United Parcel Service) as our post office and me have came to some real disagreements on muzzleloaders (yet they have delivered them to my door).

I box them, wrap them in brown paper, make sure all the corners are package taped real well, insure it, and when they ask me what is in the box I tell them "Sporting Goods." I do not tell them its a muzzleloader or firearm. None of their business anyway as long as it is not dangerous to the company. If they ask is it a firearm I tell them no. Because by law a muzzleloader is not a true firearm. I never have a problem shipping my guns all over the place this way.

One time I told the shipper it was a pipe, some wood, and some metal parts I was shipping.. was I wrong?

bronko22000 11-21-2008 12:27 PM

LOL that's funny Dave. And no you weren't wrong

Buck Hunter 1 11-21-2008 01:57 PM

X 2 for cayugad. It ain't loaded so ship it. UPS, FedExor any other except USPS.

Semisane 11-23-2008 07:54 PM

I think it's a "harvesting tool".