Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 My Experience With Goex Pinnacle Powder >

My Experience With Goex Pinnacle Powder

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My Experience With Goex Pinnacle Powder

Old 11-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default My Experience With Goex Pinnacle Powder

Presently all three of my muzzleloaders are sighted in using Pinnacle powder. Both JSG and Pinnacle like a very tight fitting sabot that is hard seated on the powder: You can feel it compress.i put a golf ball or a furniture knob on the end of the ramrod and really lean on it.

Goex Pinnacle is a very clean powder and it is easy to clean up the gun after the shooting is over. The breech plug comes out of my guns very easily after shooting 20-30 rounds. There is no crud ring with Pinnacle.

Pinnaclegenerates much less pressure than 777 or Pyrodex. It is able to extract adecent velocityfrom low pressure becauseit is very quick to pressure and it has aflat burning curve.

My CVA Mag Hunter is sightedto put the 240 grain XTP to 2.5 inches above point of aim at 100 yardsusing 120 grains of 2F Pinnacle. With 140 grains of 2F Pinnacle it puts the 300 grain .430 XTP to the same point of impact; 2.5 inches above point of aim.140 grains of 3F Pinnacle puts the 300 grain .430 XTPnearly 3.5 inches above point of aim at 100 yards. That load kicksharder than 100 grains of 777. The recoil isshorter in duration andsharper.

My Encore is sighted to put the 200 grain .40 caliber Shockwaveonpoint of aimat 100 yards using 110 grains of 2F Pinnacle. That gun puts the 250 grain SST/Shockwaveto the same spotusing 120 grains of 2F Pinnacle. Those loads need some fine tuning but will not get it becausenext weekthat gun will be sighted in to useeither the 350 grain FPB or the 370 grain Maxi Ballfor elk hunting. If it fails with both of these it will get sighted in with the .452 grain XTP Mag bullet.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: My Experience With Goex Pinnacle Powder

I shoot a lot of Pinnacle 3f when it first came out. I actually liked the powder a lot. I had excellent luck shooting it, and your right. It is a very clean powder. Its just that I have to order it to get it.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My Experience With Goex Pinnacle Powder

When shooting loose powder, I always hard-seat the bullet. Some people say it's not consistant because they say it breaks down the powder, but I've always had my best accuracy like that.

I seat the bullet, thendrop the ramrod down the barrel until it "bounces" up. On the second bounce, I call it good.

That's the way I was taught. Now with pellet powder, I don't put any pressure on it at all. Just push till the line I have scored on the ramrod is even with the muzzle.

I never tried Goex, maybe I should give it a try.