Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 First Round Ball Hunt and First ROund Ball Deer >

First Round Ball Hunt and First ROund Ball Deer

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First Round Ball Hunt and First ROund Ball Deer

Old 11-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default First Round Ball Hunt and First ROund Ball Deer

About a year or so ago, I started playing around with the idea of doing some round ball hunting. The discussions were mainly with Dave (Cayugad). I decided this I was the season I was going to do it. I wanted to use a 54 cal to round ball hunt with. The only problem was that I didn’t own a 54 cal. Well, a long came a feller from Pennsylvania named Clem (Bronko 22000). He gave me a great deal on a 54 cal barrel for my TC Renegade and a lifetime supply of round balls.

I haven’t had time to sight the 54 cal barrel in until last weekend. I have had a lot of things going on around work and home. I got the 54 cal barrel sighted in, but I forgot about one little thing, I didn’t have a 54 cal cleaning jag!! Good thing I used 777 and not black powder or Pyrodex. I had ordered a Lyman GPR 54 cal flinter earlier last week. It was delivered Wed night. I cleaned both rifles that night. Well, everything was set, I was going round ball hunting!!

I took today off from work so I could go without the weekend crowd at the club. I got to the club on time and made the long walk to my Eastman ground blind that I have in a hardwood creek bottom. As I was easing into the creek bottom right at first light, and a deer eased out of the area. I have been hunting a large buck in this area and judging from this deer’s heavy gait, I am pretty sure this deer was my buck. I eased into my blind and got settled in. I was going to get out at about 10:00 AM to do some scouting to place a stand I had removed from an unproductive area. At about 9:00, I thinking this was going to be another wasted morning.

Well, at about 9:30 a nice doe started making her way down the ridge above the creek bottom. I raised the gun to put the bead on her, when I did I think she sensed something and she made a direct left hand turn and started paralleling the ridge. I wear a black pullover and hood in my blind so she didn’t spook. She went about another ten yards and stopped in some scrub oaks and briers and started feeding. About this time my arm was getting tired of holding the gun up, so I eased it down. A few seconds after I lowered the gun another nice doe came down the same trail and stopped in another bunch of scrub oaks and started feeding. I looked at the first doe and she hadn’t moved.

I eased the gun up and put the bead on the second doe. She was still feeding in the scrub oaks and then began feeding down the ridge. A few seconds later, she presented me with an almost perfect broadside shot and I let the hammer fly. She ran back up the ridge and crashed about 3 or 4 times before I heard the final crash. I took my time reloading, as I swab with alcohol swabs and a couple of dry patches. I popped off a couple of caps and reloaded. I got my stuff together and started up the ridge to look for the deer. The blood trail was extensive and easy to follow. She had went about 75-80 yards and collapsed just on the other side of the logging road I use to get to the area. I didn’t even have to drag her!! I would be able to drive the truck all the way down to her!!! I had hit her about 2 inches up from the elbow and just behind the shoulder and it passed through just a couple of inches behind the opposite shoulder. I believe I clipped the top of the heart and took out both lungs.

The load was 85gr of 777, .535 round ball, a wad and a .010 patch and a CCI #11 magnum cap. This was my first round ball hunt and I scored a doe!! Here is a pic of the gun, the doe and me.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:08 PM
FG

Default RE: First Round Ball Hunt and First ROund Ball Deer

Awesome! That round ball did the job. I have my elk hunt on the 12th and am using almost the same load as you, only 80gr RS.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats,Great story and nice doe.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Dominant Buck

What can I say... you did it all right. What a great story. Those roundball are the most underestimated projectiles out there. They hit hard, usually pass through, and leave excellent blood trails.

Congratulations on your first roundball deer. That's a nice deer you have there. Looks like some good eating to me..
Old 11-07-2008, 03:31 PM

Great story and congrats on your deer!
I hope to use my .54 roundball this season also.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

cayugad
I am amazed , you left out the fact that a 54 PRB will always leave a better blood trail; think about it , I believe its a fact. As much as I like my inlines they fall short of a good long barreled 54 cal in every thing but range, when it comes to long rangeinlines arebetter. Of course the average distance deer are shot in the US of A is always been under 40 yds. Lee
Old 11-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree.. a .54 caliber is hard to beat when it comes to deer hunting. And a roundball out of one of them really does a number. Today I was shooting my .58 caliber shooting roundball. I'd like to tag a deer with that this year. I bet that roundball would do a job too.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats!

I really like the story Excellent Hunt
Old 11-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

The .54 ball really makes deer sick! I can only imagine what a conical hole will look like or a .58! Good Job enjoy your meat...............Harold PS:did you find the ball?
Old 11-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: yakfisher

About a year or so ago, I started playing around with the idea of doing some round ball hunting. The discussions were mainly with Dave (Cayugad). I decided this I was the season I was going to do it. I wanted to use a 54 cal to round ball hunt with. The only problem was that I didn’t own a 54 cal. Well, a long came a feller from Pennsylvania named Clem (Bronko 22000). He gave me a great deal on a 54 cal barrel for my TC Renegade and a lifetime supply of round balls.

I haven’t had time to sight the 54 cal barrel in until last weekend. I have had a lot of things going on around work and home. I got the 54 cal barrel sighted in, but I forgot about one little thing, I didn’t have a 54 cal cleaning jag!! Good thing I used 777 and not black powder or Pyrodex. I had ordered a Lyman GPR 54 cal flinter earlier last week. It was delivered Wed night. I cleaned both rifles that night. Well, everything was set, I was going round ball hunting!!

I took today off from work so I could go without the weekend crowd at the club. I got to the club on time and made the long walk to my Eastman ground blind that I have in a hardwood creek bottom. As I was easing into the creek bottom right at first light, and a deer eased out of the area. I have been hunting a large buck in this area and judging from this deer’s heavy gait, I am pretty sure this deer was my buck. I eased into my blind and got settled in. I was going to get out at about 10:00 AM to do some scouting to place a stand I had removed from an unproductive area. At about 9:00, I thinking this was going to be another wasted morning.

Well, at about 9:30 a nice doe started making her way down the ridge above the creek bottom. I raised the gun to put the bead on her, when I did I think she sensed something and she made a direct left hand turn and started paralleling the ridge. I wear a black pullover and hood in my blind so she didn’t spook. She went about another ten yards and stopped in some scrub oaks and briers and started feeding. About this time my arm was getting tired of holding the gun up, so I eased it down. A few seconds after I lowered the gun another nice doe came down the same trail and stopped in another bunch of scrub oaks and started feeding. I looked at the first doe and she hadn’t moved.

I eased the gun up and put the bead on the second doe. She was still feeding in the scrub oaks and then began feeding down the ridge. A few seconds later, she presented me with an almost perfect broadside shot and I let the hammer fly. She ran back up the ridge and crashed about 3 or 4 times before I heard the final crash. I took my time reloading, as I swab with alcohol swabs and a couple of dry patches. I popped off a couple of caps and reloaded. I got my stuff together and started up the ridge to look for the deer. The blood trail was extensive and easy to follow. She had went about 75-80 yards and collapsed just on the other side of the logging road I use to get to the area. I didn’t even have to drag her!! I would be able to drive the truck all the way down to her!!! I had hit her about 2 inches up from the elbow and just behind the shoulder and it passed through just a couple of inches behind the opposite shoulder. I believe I clipped the top of the heart and took out both lungs.

The load was 85gr of 777, .535 round ball, a wad and a .010 patch and a CCI #11 magnum cap. This was my first round ball hunt and I scored a doe!! Here is a pic of the gun, the doe and me.

Great story, great shooting, I like the .54 round ball, much more energy and shoot thru power than a .50. Chap

Quick Reply: First Round Ball Hunt and First ROund Ball Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.