Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Another Combination To Try >

Another Combination To Try

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another Combination To Try

Old 10-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Another Combination To Try

The big brown truck (where would we be without them) just dropped off my Harvester 50/40 crush rib sabots. Of course, the first thing I did was put one of mySpeer .410 210 grain Gold Dots in the new sabot and triedit in the Mustang's bore. It went down fine - two handson the ramrod and a very firmpush. Looks like I'll be doing a little "speermenting" next week end. I'm thinking a stiff load of T7 ought to get it up around2,000 fps. Man, I hope they shoot well. I love that bullet - designed for hunting with a BC of 0.183. ($23 for a box of 100)

Old 10-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Another Combination To Try

If they load that stiff.. its a shame you don't have some BlackHorn to shoot under them..

Good luck with your testing.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cayugad, have you always been an evil man, or is that a recent development. I'll bet you have little Black Horns, you devil.

EDIT: Actually, this is one bullet/sabot combination that may get me to try BH. But, if T7 does the job why bother? The question is this:Is BH going to come down to T7's price next year, or is T7 going to rise to BH's price????
Old 10-28-2008, 06:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I would not expect it to come down in price.. they are having too much success selling it at the current rate.

If these shoot real good with Triple Se7en you need to ask yourself.. what if I were shooting blackhorn 209...
Old 10-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

BACK Evil One, BACK!
Old 10-28-2008, 06:50 PM

my noob question of the day is blackhorn really that good? second noob question an how does it vary from t7? or the pyrodex rs you advised me about cay
Old 10-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I shot two pounds of BlackHorn 209. Is it really that good.. it is a good powder without arguement, in the right rifle, with the right primer, and the right breech plug. Is it better then Pyrodex RS or Triple Se7en ??? No. Both of them are great powders, well tested, and other then a few little quirks they have, get the job done. They don't care about primers, breech plugs, or what rifle..

But if it drives Semisane totally insane.. then yes, Blackhorn is great and he should have bought it when he had the chance..
Old 10-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

If semi breaks, would I be next

Old 10-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane

OK... you got my interest! - go shoot it... T7 will do everything that BH will do if you have a damp patch.... if it works for you - I would to try it across a chrono...

Old 10-28-2008, 10:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldtry it across a chrono...
I plan to do that Sabotloader.

I just checked my supply of bullets and found I have only 28 on hand. So instead of my regularfive-shot groups,I will shoot 4three-shot groupsat 50 yards with 90, 100,110 and 120 grains of T7 FFF - then take whicheverloadis most accurate out to 100 yards with a five shot group. If the accuracy holds up at 100, I'll try a group at150. Targets will be posted next week. I hope I can put some in that range report.

Quick Reply: Another Combination To Try

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.