Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Buckhorn

Old 09-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Spike

Default CVA Buckhorn

Howdy all, my 12 year old son has been hunting with me for a few years now, upland and small game. He is now showing a real interest in big game, particularly muzzleloading. I was thinking of picking him up a CVA Buckhorn to start out with, anyone have one of these or any experience with them? Are they even worth getting as an entry level rifle? Any insight helpful, thanks.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: CVA Buckhorn

I shoot a CVA Staghorn Magnum which is the same as the Buckhorn Magnum. The difference is the Buckhorn has two locking lugs and the stock is more shooter friendly.

While the Buckhorn Magnum is an open breech rifle, I sure would not let that spook me. They are so simple in design that there is little to go wrong with them. They are also very easy to clean and maintain. I was shooting my Staghorn today in fact and it is always a pleasure to shoot them.

Wal Mart has the Buckhorns and I wonder what price they will drop to at their end of the season sale. Now I need another rifle like I need another hole in the head, but if they come on sale I might get one. They really are a fun rifle to shoot. Simple in design. If they are like my Staghorn, they are accurate with a number of different projectiles.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

The Buckhorn was the first BP that I started off with a few years ago. This gun shoots well and straight, there is really not much too it. Once I had this sighted in it performed well, I liked the safety and "cocking" mechanisim on the gun. If you dont shoot all the time and just primarily use it for hunting this is great gun. You really dont need any more thank it offers.

I put a $80 Bushnell scope, Banner, and it shot just as good as my Omega I currently hunt with.

The only drawback to the buckhorn is that it takes a little bit longer to clean as you have to take it apart to get the breech plug out. Mabye a 15 minute procedure instead of 3 with my Omega. I would reccommend the gun to anyone starting out just to see if they like the toying around with different loads and projectiles.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Spike

Thanks guys, I have 2 CVAs already and love them, the price on the Buckhorn just seemed to good to be true. Thanks again.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't own a Buckhorn but have a CVA Wolf. The Wolf has a break open action and real easy to clean. It might be $20 more than the Buckhorn but might be worth your time to check out. I haven't found any bullet/sabot combo my Wolf doesn't like to shoot with 100gr loose or pellets. One of the most important things is to let him shoulder the gun to see how it feels.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

Get the Buckhorn. He will love it!!!!
Old 10-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Spike

I would also suggest looking for a Traditions Yukon in that range. I just got one and it seems to be a solid rifle for around $150. It felt better to me than the Wolf, about the same as the Buckhorn.I got mine off of Gunbroker for far less than that. Haven't shot it yet, but only heard of one person who had trouble finding a good load.

I did see Buckhorns at the local Walmart for $59 after the season last year, so if you can wait...
Old 10-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

The CVA Buckhorn is a light weight riflethat is very suitable for a young man.Start him off target shooting with 60 grains of Pyrodex RS and the 240 grain XTP bullet. A good deer hunting load for ranges to 75 yards is 80 grains of Pyrodex RS and the 240 grain XTP bullet.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:21 PM

I just starting in muzzleloading and bought a Buckhorn and have what most will think is a stupid question.
When i pull the cocking handle back to put a primer in ,it stays back. Is it supposed to stay back and fire in that position or am I doing something wrong. Sorry but I may be a bit dumb but it seems that debris would get inside the gun. Any help for a beginner out there?
Old 10-13-2008, 03:23 PM
FG

when you pull it back and it stays, its ready to fire.

Quick Reply: CVA Buckhorn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.