Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 barnes mz hard to load?? >

barnes mz hard to load??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

barnes mz hard to load??

Old 09-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default barnes mz hard to load??

had some hard experience with the barnes today. shooting them out of a omega. clean barrel or fouled i couldnt hardly get them down the barrel. My shockwaves loaded so much easier that i just gave up on the barnes. The barnes are the 285 grain with the yellow jacket. any one else have this experience??
Old 09-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: barnes mz hard to load??

It sounds like you have a tight bore. Try changing sabots out to a Harverster Crushed Rib sabot and it should be a .452 black sabot. Or you could get some MMP HPH24 or some of the E-Z glide sabots. I would try the Harvester and see if that does not make loading easier.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

were would be the best place to get some of these, i checked barnes website and didnt find them. whats the difference or pro's and cons vs the harverster or the mmp hph24 or EZ glide. I getting pretty good groups with the 300gr shockwave and 90 grains but hear that the spitfires are so good.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

brad vanderband1,
When I shootBarnes out of my Omega, I run a prelubed patch down the bore first. It loads a lot easier this way, and my accuracy is better.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:58 PM

Brad

A reg MMP OR Harvester Sabot will not work with the spitfire and the Barns TMZ asthey area Boattail bullet and a Boattail bullet requires a special Sabot to maintain the stabilaty as it travels down the barrle . well you can use them but you will not get the right type of Accuracy as you would with the right type of sabot. Check with Knight and see if you can buy some of the E-Z load sabots that are blue and made for the Spitfire or TMZ.

Ron
Old 09-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

You might considerthe new Barnes flat base bullet. You can use it in regular sabots if the supplied sabots are too tight.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/product...-fire-t-ez™/
Old 09-17-2008, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

How many do you have? I could trade you some of the blues for your yellows. The yellows fit my guns better.
Art
Old 09-17-2008, 07:50 AM
Spike

indy
i see the difference between hph24 and the barnes yellow {tmz 290}
but only as a little longer--- any other? dia. maybe ?are they taperd? cant tell--
can they be trimmed? or should one just get some blue sabots for a tight
fitting bore?
Old 09-17-2008, 08:48 AM

Im with smokepole.but,I would check the lands and groves for potentionaly excessive sabot build-up before changing sabots.I shoot the TMZ 250's and only had one occurance when the bullet was hard to load.The conditions at the time were 90 degrees outside and the sabots where exposed to direct sun and became soft "even more so when met with a charge".Now each and every time I swab the barrel I usethe (Chiefs Proclean Jag)and this tool is used the least and is probley the most important part of my cleaning processthis tool gets into the corners and cleans out any sabotthat may be built up in thelands and groves...this may help
Old 09-17-2008, 09:00 AM

Rick

The sabots for the spit fires & Tmz are tapered on the inside so the bottom of the sabot is tighter as to accept the boattail and hold it snug and then it flares out for the rest of the bullet , take a Reg .451/.452 sabot and stick a TMz in it and you will see how much you will be able to move the base of the Spitfire or TMZ around . I have tryed to shoot the TMZ out of a reg sabot last year and the accuracy sufferd badly, Now it you wanted to switch to the MZ or RedHots That have the flat bass then you can shoot those out of the reg Sabouts like the MMP or Harvester and they work great .

I would try to just get some of the Blue Sabots ot do some tradeing with some one that can shootthe Yellow sabouts like BH1 or sale what Spitfires you have and order the TMZ with the Blue E-Z load sabots. I have 1 of my Knight Rifles that I shoot the TMz & RedHots out of and they shoot Exactally the same POI .

Ron

Quick Reply: barnes mz hard to load??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.