Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 200 yard shooting with Savage smokeless >

200 yard shooting with Savage smokeless

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

200 yard shooting with Savage smokeless

Old 07-21-2008, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 200 yard shooting with Savage smokeless

I finally got an opportunity to shoot at 200 yards. I didn't do very good to start out with. 200 laser yards, 67g of 4198 smokeless powder, Barnes Origonal 300g, Crushed Rib sabot, Winchester primer.
Here are my first 5 shots, note there is only 4 holes, so I missed the target on one shot.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 200 yard shooting with Savage smokeless

Here is the next 5 shots. They all hit paper, two holes are touching right at the bottom.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I then figured out what I was doing wrong. I was not bring the front part of the Lead Sled up level with the target, I was pushing down on the rear of the stock and that was not good. Here are the next 5 shots, which are much better, 3" group at 200 yards. Will have to move it 5 click right, but it is pretty good for my first try at 200.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I only had 3 charges left so I moved it in to 150 and tried it there. I was expecting to be 1" high, since I had a 3" high at 100 yard zero. Here is what I got.

My conclusion is, I can hit at 200, but I need a lot more paractice. Gun worked fine, shooter was the problem. Plenty of accuracy on the last 8 shots to take an elk out to 200. 150 is a better range for me right now. If I can shot all 200 yard shots inside the orange outer square then I would say I am ready for 200 yards with a muzzleloader. That is my self assessment.
Chap

Old 07-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

If I can shoot all 200 yard shots inside the orange outer square then I would say I am ready for 200 yards with a muzzleloader.
I think that's a reasonable goal and it looks like you're well on your way. But once you get there with the Lead Sled, you'll needto switch over to a likely hunting condition hold, withjust your hand resting on the bench or maybe against the side of a tree. I've never tried 200 with my MLs. Keep saying I will but never seem to get around to it.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Dominant Buck

WOW!! that's mind blowing to think of shooting a muzzleloader that far. There are those that can do it, but I have never tried it yet. When I do I want to shoot some conicals and watch the drop..
Old 07-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good shooting. I second the comment on testing yourself under field conditions once you have the load, drop, and expected group size in ideal conditions established.

I highly, highly recommend investing in a good bipod, like a Harris swivel H model, for any shooting over 150 yds. The H goes up high enough that it can be used in a very low sitting position to get over grass, and can still shrink enough to be used in a "high" (ie up on elbows a bit) prone position when conditions allow it.

I actually shoot better with the bipod prone than I do off a bench. The legs grip in dirt so I can push forward slightly to "load" the bipod, forcing the gun tightly into my shoulder and helping keep a perfect alignment and consistent cheek weld. I never shoot at game over 150 yds without setting up prone this way as it is most accurate for me. 3-for-3 bang-flops last year 209,108, and 339 can't be wrong. It also has the benefit of removing all chances for scope-to-forehead contact upon recoil, so if you have ANY flinching tendencies it can help alleviate it when the shot counts most. I have never shot a Savage but I understand many of the loads would recoil heavier than what I shoot in my Omega.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

If I can shoot all 200 yard shots inside the orange outer square then I would say I am ready for 200 yards with a muzzleloader.
I think that's a reasonable goal and it looks like you're well on your way. But once you get there with the Lead Sled, you'll needto switch over to a likely hunting condition hold, withjust your hand resting on the bench or maybe against the side of a tree. I've never tried 200 with my MLs. Keep saying I will but never seem to get around to it.
I just bought a Primos Trigger stick, which I am going to take out and start using and get familiar with.
Chap
Old 07-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

WOW!! that's mind blowing to think of shooting a muzzleloader that far. There are those that can do it, but I have never tried it yet. When I do I want to shoot some conicals and watch the drop..
200 yards is a heck of a ways, I have a 3-9 scope and itwas visible but smallat 9 power, wish I had a 3-14 power. This was thefirst time I have ever shot a muzzie that far, or really even my CF. The Ballistic Coefficient on 300g Barnes Origonals is .291, and with a MV of about 2350 (I have heard others report this with 67g of 4198), I would have about a 3" drop, and my third group confirmed that I am about 2.5 to 3" low. I feel very comfortable out to 150, 200 is pushing it with me, but I just gotta shoot more to get it down.

As for big conicals, I think they would shoot no problem to 150 with a 3" high a 100 yards. After 170 most of those type of bullets are dropping off the table and I think 200 is unreachable practically. 200 is reachable for me with the Savage because I have it sighted in 3" high at 100, I know my ballistics of the bullet and powder and I am getting about the drop I expected. I don't have any BDC reticule or anything like that, only the 3" over method, which I have always used with my 30-06 for years and years.
Chap
Old 07-21-2008, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: spaniel

Good shooting. I second the comment on testing yourself under field conditions once you have the load, drop, and expected group size in ideal conditions established.

I highly, highly recommend investing in a good bipod, like a Harris swivel H model, for any shooting over 150 yds. The H goes up high enough that it can be used in a very low sitting position to get over grass, and can still shrink enough to be used in a "high" (ie up on elbows a bit) prone position when conditions allow it.

I actually shoot better with the bipod prone than I do off a bench. The legs grip in dirt so I can push forward slightly to "load" the bipod, forcing the gun tightly into my shoulder and helping keep a perfect alignment and consistent cheek weld. I never shoot at game over 150 yds without setting up prone this way as it is most accurate for me. 3-for-3 bang-flops last year 209,108, and 339 can't be wrong. It also has the benefit of removing all chances for scope-to-forehead contact upon recoil, so if you have ANY flinching tendencies it can help alleviate it when the shot counts most. I have never shot a Savage but I understand many of the loads would recoil heavier than what I shoot in my Omega.
That is my plan, to get things down "on the bench" and then start shooting my Primos Trigger Stick, see picture. I agree with you on 150, that seems to be my practical limit, it is funny how much further 50 yards is from 150 to 200, it is a long ways out there.

I have a Limbsaver recoil pad on my Savage and that takes away the most of the recoil, and I shoot in a Lead Sled for practice. I couldn't take 20 shots without the lead sled. Last year I didn't have the lead sled, I could shoot 10 shot, after that I was so tender in my shoulder it was impossilble to shoot. I figured also that I was not getting good accuracy because I was fearing the squeezing of the trigger. After this hunting season I plan on going back to 5744, I don't need to shoot 200 yards back east here, only have 1 place that has a 150 yard shot and I can do that all day with just a standard load, signted in 3" high at 100. Thanks for your wisdom on shooting prone, I am not that flexable and it is hard for me to get in that position.
Chap

Quick Reply: 200 yard shooting with Savage smokeless

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.