Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Blued Barrels And What Powder To Use >

Blued Barrels And What Powder To Use

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blued Barrels And What Powder To Use

Old 07-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Blued Barrels And What Powder To Use

Trying to decide whether to get a blued barrel or
stainless.I have had both and like both but prefer
the blued but no matter what I used to clean it or
no matter what rust preventive I have used I have
always had some small amounts of rust somewhere
on the blued barrel.Never had any problem with
the stainless barrel.Are there any good reliable
powder substitutes out now that are dependable
and non corrosive that I can use with a blued
barrel and what are the results you have had with
them.Also what rust preventive do you use to
keep you muzzleloader from rusting.The best I
have ever used is a nice coat of Breakfree and then
clean it off with alcohol prior to shooting.I love
blackpowder but some rust has always showed up
somewhere and I take great strides to prevent it
so any suggestions that work for you will be much
appreciated.I would like to go stainless but I have
to watch my money in these tight times.Thanks a
lot and you guys know your stuff here as I read
often.Take Care! Mike
Old 07-16-2008, 12:09 PM

Default RE: Blued Barrels And What Powder To Use

ss/blue, doesnt matter to me. I use pyrodex and goex with no problems and 90% of the time, never oiled the barrel after a cleaning. If you live in a humid area, Rem oil is great to use.

Corrosion is sign of a sloppy cleaning job.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm a fan of blued barrels myself. I've shot Triple Seven, Pyrodex, Jim Shockey's Gold, and GOEX in all of my guns and find Pyrodex the worst as far as rust potential. It's about as humid as you can get here in SE Louisiana and, like you, I'm real careful about cleaning my guns. I always wipe them down with a light oil after cleaning. Even then, an inspection a few days after cleaning will sometimes turn up a rust spot trying to start somewhere. Themost common location is where the forearm touches the barrel.It rubs right off with an oily cloth if you get to it soon enough. That's why I always inspect my guns a day or two or three after cleaning. It's real important to make sure the gun is completely dry before the final oiling.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a fan of stainless. Entirely because of the color. I'm a big turkey hunter and as you know they have incrediable eyes. So for me, I just don't like carrying around a shiny pole through the woods. Deer also, though not able to see color, can see a shiny reflective surface. That's just my personal preference. Nothing wrong with stainless though.

As already stated. Cleaning habits contribute to rusting more than the barrel material.

I've seen some purdy lookin' stainless ones though.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

If it's an inline, then Isuggest to at least giveAmerican Pioneer Powderfffg a try.
If it's not, than I can't recommend it as much.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Both have advantages and disadvantages, SS is easier to clean and wont rust as easy, but sticks out like a sore thumb in the hunting woods unless coated with camo; blue takes a bit more maintaince but shoots just as good and dont show up as much hunting.
I have shot all the powders available NONE can compair to the new Blackhorn 209, non corrosive higher velocity and naturlly the most expensive. Lee

Old 07-16-2008, 02:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Any gun, blue or stainless has the potential to rust. The reason most people say a stainless does not rust like a blued is, you can see the fowling easy on a stainless, and so you clean it off. With a blued barrel you have to pay close attention to the metal.

After I have the rifle cleaned I start my fowling inspection. Normally I take a patch put some alcohol on it, and wipe every single part of that rifle that I can reach. If fowling shows on that patch I know I have to address that area with more cleaning. If they are hard to reach areas, then a Q-tip with alcohol does fine. But the main thing is before I give the rifle the final oil, I know there is no fowling on it.

When you have a blued barrel or rifle, clean it careful and then put a quality gun oil on it. Breakfree CLP is a good oil, but I do not prefer it for protection.I useit sometimes butI like REM OIL or Birchwood Casey Sheath.

I like both styles of rifles but I think a nice blued rifle is beautiful. Although my stainless rifles are nice too...
Old 07-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you clean the gun properly it won't matter...

I've had a Knight Disc since '99, blued barrel, I have one flinter that I have had since '77 and one since 1990...I shoot Goex FFF in all and Geox and Pyrodex R-S in the Knight...

I think stainless barrels are more for shooters that don't know how or just don't keep their guns cleaned...
Old 07-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

If you clean the gun properly it won't matter...

I've had a Knight Disc since '99, blued barrel, I have one flinter that I have had since '77 and one since 1990...I shoot Goex FFF in all and Geox and Pyrodex R-S in the Knight...

I think stainless barrels are more for shooters that don't know how or just don't keep their guns cleaned...
I don't believethat's why people like stainless smokeless guns.

People basicallylike things for either their function & practicality, orgood looks & appearance or both.

Guns are just like blonds, brunettes and redheads!

Everyone's favorite color of M&M's candy isn't the same, or for the same reason.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Had my cheap old CVA Staghorn for many years. It has firedmany more than 1,000 rounds using Pyrodex and Pyrodex pellets. Am now using Pinnacle in the gun. That gun has been out in all kinds of weather and has never had one speck of rust and the bore looks like it did when new.All you have to do is put grease on the metal surfaces and clean the gun the same day you shoot it.

Quick Reply: Blued Barrels And What Powder To Use

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.