Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.457 round balls

Old 07-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default .457 round balls

I accidently picked up Hornady .457 round balls because the price tag covered thediameter and I saw .45 round balls for muzzleloader on the package. Realized the error after I couldn't get a patched round ball down the barrel and the ballalone barely went down. Box of 100 minus 1 that I shoved down andfired. Midway sales for $11.79.

Anyone have any use for these? Will trade for some projectile you have no use for that can be fired from a .45 or .50 caliber rifle. Let me know what you have.

Thanks.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: .457 round balls

If you didn't already know, .457 balls are made to fit the Ruger Old Army revolver. Maybe this is a sign that you should eventuallybuy one!

If you wanted to try to tumble them down, you could put them in a large coveredbucket with some sand and let them roll around in the car trunk or in a truck bed for a long time until they wear down to size. It's based on the same principle as a rock tumbler [which BTWis also sold cheap at Harbor Freight].
Or rub down a ring around eachone by scrapingit on sandpaper, and load them carefully either into a sabot [i.e. - like the Hornady Hardball loads]or with a patch.
All of the cap & ballrevolvers shave a ring of lead off the ball when they're loaded into the cylinder which makes them a little out of round, and they're still capable of excellent accuracy.
Or you can alwaysmelt them downand cast them into something else if you don't sell or tradethem.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: .457 round balls

No ruger old army in my future. I don't do any casting, but have been reading what I can and am thinking about it. So I thought about saving them and melting them down, but would like to trade them off to someone if I could. I just thought that if someone can use them and has a projectile they or their gun dislikes. For the price of shipping we each get something we could use. Thanks for the suggestions though.