logo

Go Back   HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:18 AM   #1

Default CVA Optima Powder/Bullet Combination

I just purchased a CVA Optima 209 with a 3x9 scope. I am wondering what the best powder bullet combination would be for this weapon. I know each gun is different but I would like to hear what people use and what kind of groupings they get and at what range. I would like to have a tight group out to 150-200 yards if possible. Any info will help. Thanks alot!
Mathews HDII drop away
Carbon Express Maxima 250
Homemade Lumenok's
Slick Trick 100 grain
Specialty Archery Stabilizer
mtlheadhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Dominant Buck

Default RE: CVA Optima Powder/Bullet Combination

Many people report outstanding accuracy with the CVA Optima. Especially with a scope, which is a great advantage to shooting longer distances.

As for bullets, since you want to shoot long distances, I would look for a sabot that had good ballistics. Perhaps a 300 grain or 200 grain Shockwave is where I would look. I would start the loads with 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and see how it shoots. My CVA shoots Shockwaves really well. Actually it shoots a lot of things very well. My pet powder charge seems to be 90 grains in the CVA. Anything more or less and the accuracy falls off.

All you can do is try some of the bullets out there and see which ones will shoot well. Then work up a load and practice.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck, screaming Yahoo, with a big smile on your face."
cayugad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to frontier gander

Im from an Conical state only so heres some i would give a try:

Powerbelt
Hornady Great Plains
Maxi hunter/ Maxiball "Sometime they need a felt wad under the bullet"
Bullshop

One sabot that i do know that shoots really well is the hornady SST. The sst and shockwave are supposed to be the same bullet i believe. If thats the case, im not to confident in either bullet for hunting.

You'll also have to fiddle around with primers once you find an accurate load. My Omega seems to prefer the remington kleanbore primers.
frontier gander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
Giant Nontypical

I would recommend Blackhorn 209 noncorrosive powder it is new and expensive but it is the most consistent powder I have ever used and you don't need to worry about cleaning or wiping between shots to get it to shoot good. The next most consistent is Pyrodex, a very good powder and very corrosive, if you use it scrub your gun with soap and boiling water until it is absolutely clean then oil it, and realize that a lot of muzzle loaders have been rusted up by delaying the cleaning. As for long range it some what depends on what game you would shoot, so I will assume deer, hog and black bear size game the 200 gr Shock Wave is the flattest shooting and one of the easier ones to get to shoot good, next is the bonded 250 gr Shock Wave, the 250 Gold Dot is my favorite up to 150 yds. If you are going to go after bigger game than what I mentioned then go to a 300gr either Gold Dot or Bonded Shock Wave. Lee
Old 07-03-2008, 05:41 PM   #5
Nontypical Buck

Quote:
ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Im from an Conical state only so heres some i would give a try:

Powerbelt
Hornady Great Plains
Maxi hunter/ Maxiball "Sometime they need a felt wad under the bullet"
Bullshop

One sabot that i do know that shoots really well is the hornady SST. The sst and shockwave are supposed to be the same bullet i believe. If thats the case, im not to confident in either bullet for hunting.

You'll also have to fiddle around with primers once you find an accurate load. My Omega seems to prefer the remington kleanbore primers.
These will not shoot 200 yards in general in most rifles. Need high BC bullet like SW or Barnes TMZ, something like that. Chap
gleason.chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to frontier gander

yeah tell Roger Raglin that a big 400 grain slug white powerpunch cant shoot 200 yards. Powerbelt can easily do 200 yards but the question is towards the shooter, Can you?

45-70 i guess is another one that cant kill at 200 yards because its not shooting a sabot?
frontier gander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #7

I have the CVA Optima in the .45 cal. , and I only shoot powerbelt bullets over 777 loose powder. That has been the most consistant combo I have found, and I took 2 - 8 pts. with it last year, and they were dead in a hiccup. I shoot a 174 gr. bullet over 93 gr. of 777.

God bless,

MET
MichaelT. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:03 PM   #8

I have the CVA Optima in the .45 cal. , and I only shoot powerbelt bullets over 777 loose powder. That has been the most consistant combo I have found, and I took 2 - 8 pts. with it last year, and they were dead in a hiccup. I shoot a 174 gr. bullet over 93 gr. of 777.

God bless,

MET
MichaelT. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:03 PM   #9
Nontypical Buck

Quote:
ORIGINAL: frontier gander

yeah tell Roger Raglin that a big 400 grain slug white powerpunch cant shoot 200 yards. Powerbelt can easily do 200 yards but the question is towards the shooter, Can you?

45-70 i guess is another one that cant kill at 200 yards because its not shooting a sabot?
Never tried a PB that far. I know some conicals can shoot that far, but in general they are a closer range bullet in my opinion. Sure some can shoot them that far, but most would want a high BC bullet.
Chap
gleason.chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #10

I have the Optima Pro and I shoot the 295gr Powerbelts over 2 50gr pellets of T7.I have also shot the 250gr shockwaves and they shoot very good aswell.
Bake North is offline   Reply With Quote