Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Maxi-balls and Maxi-hunters >

Maxi-balls and Maxi-hunters

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Maxi-balls and Maxi-hunters

Old 03-02-2003, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Maxi-balls and Maxi-hunters

Has anyone tried the old T/C Maxi-hunter or Maxi-ball bullets in the modern inline muzzleloaders? How do they shoot? You can buy them in bulk for about ten cents apiece at gun shows.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Maxi-balls and Maxi-hunters

They shoot very well in every gun I' ve tried them in. I use the Maxiballs when hunting heavier than deer size things, and the Maxihunters for deer & smaller....
Old 03-02-2003, 05:12 PM

question on maxi ball and maxi hunter i here guy' s shooting a wonder wad over the powder for a tighter seal has anyone tried it?
Old 03-03-2003, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a T/C Hawken that I' d load with a wonder wad, and it shot well.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I' m sorry I didn' t mention this. I ALWAYS use a wonderwad with ALL/ANY KIND of full bore-sized flat-based conical bullet. It improves accuracy, and helps keep fouling soft and at a minimum.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:09 PM
bigcountry

I used them for a long time until last year in my wolverine. Basically accuracy wasn' t as good as sabots and leaded up the barrel of my muzzleloader. But you have make sure that bullet is seated good. I quit using them when last year I came out of my tree. I lowered my gun muzzle down and then when I got out of the stand I saw the maxihunter at the end of the barrel. I mean its not that dangerous, but might lose a big buck with a misfire. I also used the wonderwads too. You still get alot of blowby since its not that tight in the barrel. I would stick with the sabots. I killed several deer with them, but won' t use them again. I just used up the ones I had.

Old 03-06-2003, 09:10 AM

I' ve used Maxi-balls and Maxi-hunters and get good accuracy but I prefer the Powerbelts which give even better accuracy in my muzzleloader.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:08 PM
Spike

We (my son and I) got new CVA inlines last year and started out with 245 gr. Powerbelts. Shot good, but he hit a doe, knocked her down and tried to put in a 2nd finishing shot---missed, and while reloading she got up and walked away. found about five 1/4" drops of blood in about 3/4 mile of tracking. Back to the range. I went with the 295 lead Powerbelt and he went with the 320 Maxi' s. Got good accuracy, but didn' t have another chance on deer to see how they worked. We haven' t tried using the wonder wads, but have some to try before next season.
I got my deer with the 295 lead Powerbelt, but first blood found was where the deer fell - about 40 yards. I' m going to check out the 350 Maxi hollow points.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:39 AM
Dominant Buck

I do not shoot in-line rifles, but have used them in my T/C Renegade .54 caliber. I shot both the T/C maxi hunter and ballets. Both of these shot excellent. I also use the wonder wad and found that I get better groups with them, then without them. I have never had a problem with them moving in the barrel, coming back towards the muzzle. Of course Knight and T/C might have just a little different specs in the barrel. I am only guessing though. I have now changed over to a conical I make myself using a LEE bullet mold. They are a .54 caliber 300 grain conical, the size of a ballet. These are my all around hunting load, and shoot excellent with or without a wonder wad.