Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Black Diamond XR today >

Black Diamond XR today

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Diamond XR today

Old 06-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Black Diamond XR today

I checked my records and the Black Diamond XR had not been shot in a long time. Actually there is a reason for that as it normally shoots very well each time to the range. Today was no different.

I knew it was sighted in at 75 yards approximately,with the 375 grain Buffalo Bullet SSB and 100 grains of Pyrodex RS. The first shot on the clean barrel was out of the group. This is a constant with the rifle. That is why I hunt on a fowled barrel with the Black Diamond. The next three were real tight, then I must have flinched on the fifth shot a little. I was swabbing between shot with a alcohol/windshield cleaner solution and even giving the barrel time to cool.

I then swabbed the barrel as clean as possible and brought out some Barnes Expanders in a red sabot. I loaded the 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and was kind of surprised when the first shot hit as high as it did. So I shot the next and touched the first. The third was almost there. At a dollar each I decided that was enough of them.

I then swabbed the barrel clean and loaded 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and a Speer 250 grain Gold Dot hollow point is a smooth very long I believe a HP-12 sabot. They loaded a little tighter then the others so far. Could have been the sabot. And they also shot higher then I thought they would.

So I swabbed the barrel clean and loaded the Speer Gold Dot in a crushed rib sabot. These loaded VERY easy down the barrel. Almost too easy I thought. I then changed my POA and was actually shooting about three inches under that bulls eye. While it hit the bulls eye, I would have liked a tighter group.

I then swabbed the barrel as clean as I could and checked. I had five of the Buffalo Bullets left in that box. So I decided to shoot as fast as I could without swabbing. After the fifth shot, that barrel was HOT!!! (I learned the hard way). Although they sabots loaded really a lot easier then I figured they would. It was almost like the Pyrodex RS and the hot barrel made them slide in easy. Also the group was more then acceptable. I was aiming at six o'clock on that bulls eye...

By this time the temp had climbed, the horse flies had found me, as did the mosquitoes and I think the bug juice was wearing off... I decided to call it quits.

That Black Diamond XR is a very consistantly accurate rifle but of all my rifles, has to be the very worst rifle to clean. Maybe that is why I do not shoot it more...
Old 06-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Black Diamond XR today

Wow, very nice,stick with the Buffalo Bullet SSB. Were you shooting them with a sabot? If so which one? The expanders were not that bad, and given their reputation to hold together and right now they are on sale for $6.95 at Traditions Web sie, they would be an excellent bullet in that gun. I don't know the SSB costs, but they sure are accurate in that gun. Great shooting. Chap

Old 06-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Dominant Buck

A while back I found a store that had a LOAD of the Buffalo Bullet 375 grain SSB's on sale. So I bought all 17 boxes of them. I had the Barnes but since then bought 14 cards of them as well. I was shooting off the old Barnes that I paid over a dollar each for. The cards I got for $5.00 on close out.

Those Buffalo Bullets with 100 grains of Pyrodex RS are a very accurate load.. Another person I talk to has a Black Diamond XR and used them to hunt elk with. He said it did not get complete penetration on the elk at about 80 yard, but was under the hide on the other side. He said the elk went about 30 yards and just kind of laid down and stretched out dead. He said the expansion of the bullet was excellent and the damage of the all lead bullet was impressive.

When I hunted the fields around here, I loaded the Black Diamond XR with the Buffalo Bullets. I always figured I could put that in a whitetail and drop them pretty fast if I placed it right.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

A while back I found a store that had a LOAD of the Buffalo Bullet 375 grain SSB's on sale. So I bought all 17 boxes of them. I had the Barnes but since then bought 14 cards of them as well. I was shooting off the old Barnes that I paid over a dollar each for. The cards I got for $5.00 on close out.

Those Buffalo Bullets with 100 grains of Pyrodex RS are a very accurate load.. Another person I talk to has a Black Diamond XR and used them to hunt elk with. He said it did not get complete penetration on the elk at about 80 yard, but was under the hide on the other side. He said the elk went about 30 yards and just kind of laid down and stretched out dead. He said the expansion of the bullet was excellent and the damage of the all lead bullet was impressive.

When I hunted the fields around here, I loaded the Black Diamond XR with the Buffalo Bullets. I always figured I could put that in a whitetail and drop them pretty fast if I placed it right.
No doubt in my mind. Wha sabot with them? If supplied sabot, what is it?
Chap

Old 06-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Dominant Buck

The sabot does come with it.. I think they are a black MMP HPH-24 but would not swear to it. It is a very thin sabot...
Old 06-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK. Thanks. Chap

ORIGINAL: cayugad

The sabot does come with it.. I think they are a black MMP HPH-24 but would not swear to it. It is a very thin sabot...
Old 06-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice shooting. The black diamond I had almost seemed to easy. I sold it when I bought my ss knight wolverine. If I find another good deal on one I might buy another though. Did your breech plug get very tight after that much shooting?
Art
Old 06-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Dominant Buck

I am careful about the breech plug and checked it after ten shots... It was still loose. Since I went to Slick 50 One Grease as my breech plug grease, I have had excellent luck with plugs not sticking.

The one grease I had real problems with was the stuff that came with the rifle.. The FIRST TIME I shot my BD I used that T/C grease and seized the plug up. I had to take it to the shop and work it loose. After that I checked it after ten shots...
Old 06-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good shooting. The TC Black Diamondand Black Diamond XRare outstanding guns.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Excellent Cayugad. Got a 1x scope on that gun?

I choke on the price of those Barnes bullets too, though I have to admit they perform great on deer.

Is the Black Diamond a 1 in 28" twist? I'd bet 300 grain Gold Dots would do better than the 250s.

Quick Reply: Black Diamond XR today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.