Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Louisiana proposes to replace muzzle loader season >

Louisiana proposes to replace muzzle loader season

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Louisiana proposes to replace muzzle loader season

Old 06-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default Louisiana proposes to replace muzzle loader season

La. Wildlife and Fisheries Dept. has proposed for the period of 2008-2010
hunting seasons ,a"Primitive Weapons" season .This would take the place of what it is now called Muzzleloader Season.the new season would include the use of single shot breech loading rifles
of a kind or type built and used before 1900,38 cal. or larger,
reproductions or reintroductions of that type of rifle ,with an exposed hammer.
this rifle of a type that uses a metallic cartridge loaded with either blackpowder or
smokeless powder.(factory or reloads) Muzzleloader regs. remain the same.[:@]I don't Like It.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:07 PM

Default RE: Louisiana proposes to replace muzzle loader season

Woodtick49

I don't blame you abit this should fall under the reg. rifle season , if they want to do something like that. JMO

Ron
Old 06-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

thats how i feel about it too.next meeting of the commission is 6/5/08.
I don't know if they will pass it then or not.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Dominant Buck

I sometimes wonder how versed some of the legislature people are on hunting, muzzleloaders, and how they operate.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mississippi did it a few years back. The main result was a sudden high demand forH&R/NEF 45-70's, 444's and 44 magnums - all legal under the new regulation. It put a few more hunters in the woods during the "primitive weapons" season, but nothing spectacular. On the bright side, it put a bunch of slightly used MLs on the local market at good prices.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

There are muzzle loaders out there already that are anything but "primitive" . It seems like a contradiction to include cartridge rifles and call it primitive at the same time. The only similarity would be having just one shot. Now if it was side hammers only, cap or flint, then you could legitimately call it primitive.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

You're right gearheart, but they had to change the name from "muzzle loading" to something else, so they chose "primitive". I guess they could have called it the "kinda' old gun season".
Old 06-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Typical Buck

[:@]I'd be willing to bet that there is a lobbyist and some cash at the bottom of this pile somewhere.
Certainly ,NO one asked a Sportsman ,in the "Sportsman's Paradise"
Old 06-02-2008, 11:06 PM
Typical Buck

Every hunting season has some kind of arbitrary cutoffswhich differentiates it and sets it apart from other seasons. "Primitive" could be defined as only being smoothbores or flintlocks. But that would be makingitmore restrictive rather than being more open.
Once muzzle loaders went to #209 primers and became just about as dependable as centerfires, there's less of adifference between them and single shot CF rifles.
Many centerfire rifles can't even shoot as accurately as some muzzle loaders do. Plus there's a surplus of deer and not enough hunters in many states.
I'm notfor oragainst the proposal since I don't live in Louisiana, but if they do passitat leasttheir rational for doing itis understandable.

Louisiana also has generous bag limits for harvestingdeer:

One antlered and one antlerless (when legal) deer per day EXCEPT on National Forest Lands and some Federal Refuges (check refuge regulations) where the daily limit shall be one deer per day. Season limit is six, three antlered deer and three antlerless deer (all segments included) by all methods of take, EXCEPT antlerless harvest on property enrolled in DMAP and LADT does not count in the season bag limit for hunters. Antlerless deer may be harvested during the entire deer season on private lands (all segments included) EXCEPT in the following parishesortions of East Carrol and West Carroll. Consult the modern firearms table above for either sex days for those parishes. This does not apply to public lands (Wildlife Management Areas, National Forest Lands, and Federal Refuges) which will have specified either-sex days.
http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting/regulations/deerhunting/
Old 06-03-2008, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

personally i don't see how a modern single shot 44 or 444 41 mag can be primitive at all with smokeless powder. they might as well just open it for all guns and forget the muzzler/primitive aspect.[&o]

Quick Reply: Louisiana proposes to replace muzzle loader season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.