Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New GM Barrel For The Pitted Renegade >

New GM Barrel For The Pitted Renegade

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New GM Barrel For The Pitted Renegade

Old 06-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default New GM Barrel For The Pitted Renegade

Dang that bronco. He caused me to buy something I wasn't even shopping for.

We were exchanging e-mails concerning the possibility of me buying his TC .54 Renegade barrel, and in one of those e-mails I said I intended the Renegade to be a ball shooter, and maybe ought to go with a new 1 in 70 twist barrel.So he says I ought to call Kerry at GM and seeif the had any of those on sale. Well, I called Kerry and she says they have no .54's or .58's, only some .62 smooth bores. Then she says "Oh wait, we've got a couple of the .45 caliber 1 in 28 twist barrels for $98 plus shipping". So I say "well, youmay as well go ahead and send me one of those".

Now, I started out wanting a .54 or .58slow twist barrel and end up buying an .45 fast twist. How the heck did that happen?

Never had a .45 before. What am I going to shoot out of this sucker when I get it?
Old 06-01-2008, 08:07 PM

Default RE: New GM Barrel For The Pitted Renegade

275g Aerotip Powerbelt. Those suckers slide through my sandbox like a hot knife through butter.

Also, The 285g hornady great plains those shot really good out of my .45 apex but i felt they could be a bit tighter.

You'll probably just be boring and shoot sabots any ways
Old 06-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

congratulations on the purchase. good luck with the new barrel.

cory
Old 06-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Any .45 caliber Knight Red Hot sabot combination should do well. Also you could get some .45 caliber sabots and shoot 200 grain XTP's out of it. You might even want to try some .451 diameter conicals..

Good luck with the new barrel.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

Semi send some full Cal 45 pistol bullets down that barrel you might be suprised with he results. I use full size 50 in my 1x28 50 cal with interisting results.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Gander, the Great Plains bullets are one of my favorites. I would be a very happy man if they shoot well in the new barrel. (Powerbelts are waaay down on my list of things to try.)

Cayugad, I already have two packs of crush ribs and two packs of regular Harvester sabots on the way from Midsouth. I'm anxious to see if the 210 grain .410 Gold Dots I use in my .41 Mag Blackhawk will fit the barrel. If they fit OK and shoot well, that will be my "go to" bullet for deer.

Interesting idea JM. I have a ton of .45 ACP cast bullets, both round nose and semi-wadcutter. Problem is, they are all pretty hard. Worth a try though.

Man, I did NOT need any more homework.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:20 AM

O my my Semi I think you are going to like a .45cal they are sweet , low recoil & very deadly
I would try some 200gr sw with 90gr of powder . But if you see you don't like it let me know I may just take that sucker off your hands!

Ron
Old 06-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lee .457-340F pan lubed and sized to .451 over a .460 card wad and 75 grains of FFg T7.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well there you go Semi, blaming everything on me again. Just like my wife. Just remember to give me a pat on the back when you start punching tiny groups with hardly any recoil and less powder. I told you, I'm going to be using mine for turkey this fall.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Have you ever considered that MAYBE YOUR WIFE IS RIGHT?

Quick Reply: New GM Barrel For The Pitted Renegade

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.