Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Oiled Bore?

Old 04-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default Oiled Bore?

I only had a few minutes to shoot this AM and only took 3 shots. 1st shot in a clean oiled bore. Swabbed and reloaded. 2nd shot high left 1 1/4" I tried somthing I have wanted to do for some time. I swabbed as usual then ran a light oil patch,and loaded again. Same hole as 1st shot. Looked like a small figure 8. Has anyone else tried this,I have to get some more shots in soon to verify.

Charlie
Old 04-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Oiled Bore?

Semisane did somthing like this with his Mustang, but I think he loaded on a clean Dry bore, then light oil patch swabbed down to the bullet tip.

Said it improved his groups sizes.

Semi???
Old 04-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep! Loaded clean & dry - then a light oil patch to the bullet tip - shoot - swab bore with both sides of damp patch and both sides of dry patch - repeat. Get my best groups with this procedure. The bonus is that I'msighted in for a clean dry barrel with oil to the bullet tip. I left it loaded like that for four months. When I shot it the bullet went just where it was supposed to.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Chasam60

Yep, kinda been doing that for several years now.. I shoot T7 and I shoot my rifle prior to the season to verify POI... then I patch it with a windex patch - each time I shoot during the season -and them put a light coat of oil in the bore each time I might shoot it during the hunting season. The rifle never gets stripped down cleaned until the end of the hunting season or until I switch guns...

Funny part in all of this is the rule.... "when shooting sabots shoot from a clean dry bore" - my bore is always semi-clean and lightly lubed... works wonderfully...

In a recent conversation with Del Ramseyat MMP sabots was along this same line... I was asking about the difference(s) between the new Hornady "low Drag" red sabot and the standard MMP HPH-3p-EZ load... His response was that the Hornady is lubed (hornady specification) for easier loading - while the the 3p is unlubed. In my mind i am taking this to mean that somebody other than you and I have found the value oflightly lubed bore or sabot -

Now, the truth behind my decision - since I do hunt such lously weather here in Idaho for a big part of the season - i really did not want a dry unprotected bore - that is the real reason i started lightly lubing the barrel (prevent rusting) - but it served a couple of purposes for me...

I have splained this semi theoryto semi and i thought he was going to run a speriment... but again it works for me.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, same here...I do run another dry patch down, as I do for the first shot...

I have a theory that guys that claim that they have to foul the barrel before getting groups are not doing this...
I've never had a muzzleloader that I couldn't get to group with a clean bore...

Another point...the reason I started doing this, about 8-9 years ago, I was swabbing between shots with rubbing aclcohol, drying bore and shooting....The gun would group for about 4-5 shots, they they went to heck...I realized that the bullets weren't sliding down the bore as before...Added this step and it corrected the problem...
Old 04-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

I was shooting the 200/40 XTP today,and they really slide down smooth with the oiled bore. Still good and tight,but smooth. I have wondered about this for some time since my first shot is usually the closest to center bull.

Charlie
Old 04-16-2008, 07:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

The info card that comes with Harvester Crush Rib sabots says "TO CHECK RIFLE FOR ACCURACY, CLEAN AND LUBE BARREL BETWEEN SHOTS - SEAT SABOT AND BULLET FIRMLY ON POWDER CHARGE".
Old 04-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats interesting. I know how much they always warn not to shoot a centerfire with a lubed bore.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Doe Dumper

Gee Whiz! I do that wrong also... During hunting season and rotten weather I do lighty lube my bore in the centerfires also... Just enough to prevent rust... I have no problem with it shooting where it is aimed...
Old 04-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

The issue with oil in a centefire bore is thatthe cartridge case expands upon firingand grips the side of the chamber - thus reducing stress against the boltface or breechblock. If there's oil between the cartridge case and the chamber wall you run a danger of excessive pressure against the bolt.

Quick Reply: Oiled Bore?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.