Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Stupid question from me.... (as usual) >

Stupid question from me.... (as usual)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Stupid question from me.... (as usual)

Old 04-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Stupid question from me.... (as usual)

How many of you guys have a scope on your sidelocks? I have one on my inline but havent ever considered one for my sidelocks although Im sure a lot of people probably do. I dont think any of mine are even tapped for mounts.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Stupid question from me.... (as usual)

Like I have said before. The only way I would is if I could find me one of them old long brass scopes. IMO it just doesn't look right. I'm sure it helps with accuracy, especially with us old guys but..... I guess I'm just stubborn.
ps: I looked at those tang sights by T/C for my Hawken but the aperature is way too small. Probably could drill it out to maybe 1/16" but I can still see the iron sights pretty good.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not me...Would look funny on a custom made flintlock...

I do have one on my .243...
Old 04-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL Same here Hawk...all my cf's are scoped. Bronko Id like to try a tang on one of my sidelocks but I dont even know where to start on them...never used one so I dont know what to even look for.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a couple of the sidelocks scoped. We are allowed 1X magnification in our State. While it is not an increase in ability to see, in fact just the opposite perhaps, it is a better aiming device which makes my rifle more accurate.

I find nothing wrong or unattractive with them. I personally like them. I have bought base plates for a renegade, now I just have to figure out how to use them as they are different then the current mounts I have on them.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I asked something close to that not long ago. still thinking about it,
Old 04-01-2008, 05:10 PM

Hey Dave,
looks like you have too many triggers on that rifle in your first picture.
Is that a set and then a double set..It looks just like three triggers..
How does it shoot with the scope..How is the eye releif on some-
thing like that....Johnny
Old 04-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I stoped hunting and shooting my T/C hawkins in the very early 80's do to my failing eye sight. Some where around 1990 I bought a T/C Plains rifle just because it was drilled and tapped for scope mounts.
I used the T/C quick release mount with a Weaver K4 scope. I went back to hunting the Muzzle loader season since I could shoot with a resonable amount of confdents again.
I don't think it takes away from the look of the rifle.

I bought a Winny 94 about 5 years ago that had a Lyman #2 peep sight on it. I found I liked the sight a lot.
Decided I would put one on my Hawkins so I could shoot it again.
Longbow bow hunter from this sight sent me a T/C tang peep sight.
I put in on my Hawkins and now can shoot it again. In low light I take the apture out and use the ghost ring. Makes it simular to the #2 Lyman on one ofmy 94's

Al
Old 04-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Dominant Buck

The eye releif on a 1X scope is really about as good as you could dream of. I have a Nikon 1X20mm and a T/C 1X32mm. While the Nikon is rated much better, I honestly like the T/C better. Next time to the city I am going to get a Traditions 1X32mm and mount that on another rifle.

What you're seeing in that is shadows.. That is only a double set, but the camera throw a flash and it bounced. So it layed shadows next to the triggers. It does look like more then two now that you mention it.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:00 PM

Dave---I figured you can up with a new trigger there....Really I knew it was shadows..
I had a red dote on my CVA 50 cal cap lock and it was too far back and when you shot
the Lense would get all cloudy..After about 6 or so shots,you couldn't see through it.
So I finally gave up and took it off..Never thought of putting a regular scope on it..
I will have to see if I can fit,a 4x on it,but I think I will have to redrill and tap to
move the base forward...In the mean time I will be playing with the 45-120...
After I get the corn planter finished that is..

Quick Reply: Stupid question from me.... (as usual)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.