Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 knight rifle, power stem plug, blackhor 209 >

knight rifle, power stem plug, blackhor 209

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

knight rifle, power stem plug, blackhor 209

Old 03-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default knight rifle, power stem plug, blackhor 209

for the kight shooters, do you think that the power stem would be a good thing to get when using the BH 209. i know it's not out yet but i have my name on the list when it comes avaliable and want to be prepared.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: knight rifle, power stem plug, blackhor 209

outdoorsmen

My knee jerk reaction is probably it will not work. When Big 6x6 tried to shoot it with a FPJ breech plug it would not go off consitently at all. The new Buckhorn is a progressive powder much like a centerfire powder and it requires compression to continue to burn. The FPJ breech plugs probably let to much back pressure back out of the breech plug to sustain a progressive burn. 6x6 even tried getting it going with the hot federal primers - not much luck there either. He was succesful getting to burn with a NFPJ breech plug...

I am really hoping that the NFPJ will be consitent enough to allow the use of BH-209. Although their most recent information says that it has to have a close BP system such as the Omega-KRB and etc...
Old 03-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

what do you think the odds are in getting constant pressure/compression on the powder when seating the bullet? from what i understand that's important with BH209, right?
Old 03-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

outdoorsmen

what do you think the odds are in getting constant pressure/compression on the powder when seating the bullet? from what i understand that's important with BH209, right?
With progressive powder the compression aspect of the bullet is very important also, as well as the weight of the bullet. You will need to have compression on the bullet and the sabot will need to seal the barrel to prevent the escape of gases. So using an easy loading sabot may not be the way to go - you will need a tight one.

Most often when we load we find a seating pressure that feels good and we tend to stay right around that presure everytime you seat a bullet - so I think that portion of the formula will work itself out.

Weight of the bullet and the amount of pressure to push the load down the barrel are going to be important because either one of these can change the performance of the powder.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

I'm waint to shoot as soon as i get the powder. I'm gonna trythe barnes 250gr tmz with supplied yellow sabot and the 300gr harvester scorpion pt gold with the supplied crushed rib sabot. i'm going to shoot my master hunter, long range hunter and triumph
Old 03-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorsmen

I'm waint to shoot as soon as i get the powder. I'm gonna trythe barnes 250gr tmz with supplied yellow sabot and the 300gr harvester scorpion pt gold with the supplied crushed rib sabot. i'm going to shoot my master hunter, long range hunter and triumph
Boy I wanna hear about those two bullets with those 3 rifles, please publish your results and keep carefull notes. I really was hoping that the HarvesterScorpion PT Gold (what a name!) would shoot well in my Savage, becuse they are a resonable cost bullet, butthey didn't. How do you choose which rifleto take with you to the field? Chap
Old 03-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

it's not giong to be easy. i laid down my master hunter cause i couldn't get consistancy from it after several years of trying i got tired of it and got the LRH. i like big target guns and it seemed to be built like a taret version of a muzzleloader. i haven't even shot it yet cause the triumph's came out and they seemed like a nice easy to deal with light to carry hunting rig. the maintainence on the triumph is night and day different compared the the kinghts. i love the feel of my t-hole master hunter but i hate having to treat it like a baby cause of all the parts of the bolt to clean and taking it apart each night. heck it even rusts in my house with a coat of oil on it. all the nooks and cranny of the action are nice collection places for rust. the dang thing rusts at the drop of a hat. thus far the triumph seems bullet proof. the weathershield held up to 3 days of rain/sleet/snow without any sign of rust.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorsmen

it's not giong to be easy. i laid down my master hunter cause i couldn't get consistancy from it after several years of trying i got tired of it and got the LRH. i like big target guns and it seemed to be built like a taret version of a muzzleloader. i haven't even shot it yet cause the triumph's came out and they seemed like a nice easy to deal with light to carry hunting rig. the maintainence on the triumph is night and day different compared the the kinghts. i love the feel of my t-hole master hunter but i hate having to treat it like a baby cause of all the parts of the bolt to clean and taking it apart each night. heck it even rusts in my house with a coat of oil on it. all the nooks and cranny of the action are nice collection places for rust. the dang thing rusts at the drop of a hat. thus far the triumph seems bullet proof. the weathershield held up to 3 days of rain/sleet/snow without any sign of rust.
I have a Knight Origonal Disc and a TC Omega and I know exactly what you mean about the Kight vs the TC and rust on the bolt and taking it apart with C-Tool. I am surprised that you can't find a consistent bullet for the Knight, Nosler Partitions with 100g of 777 and Crushed rib sabot work to 2" for me in it, even Am Poineer Powder worked good in it. Chap Gleason
Old 03-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Typical Buck

well to be honest I'd like to be cutting holes at 100yds but i amy to expecting to much from a muzzleloader. but I've had problems getting it to shoot groups just to figure out how to move my scope.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you send your Master Hunter back to Knight? Usually they test fire them and give an accuracy report.
Art

Quick Reply: knight rifle, power stem plug, blackhor 209

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.