Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 American Pioneer Powder & Knight Rifles >

American Pioneer Powder & Knight Rifles

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

American Pioneer Powder & Knight Rifles

Old 03-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Default American Pioneer Powder & Knight Rifles

I have been thinking of different loads to try out of the new Extreme with the MHC fluted barrel. I noticed at the little gun shop they had American Pioneer Sticks and JSG Sticks. I just wondered if anyone has ever shot them out of their Knight rifles. If so, what kind of results did you have and what bullet were you shooting. They also had Triple Se7en pellets so I could go that route..
Old 03-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: American Pioneer Powder & Knight Rifles

Dave; In the past I uses to shoot the old Clean Shot out of my mk8, 100gr w/300gr knight flat nose w/good accuracy. also the 300gr barnes w/ the big hollowpoint. boomflopped a buck at about 90yds, the smoke cleared and no deer in sight. It was in a big tall weedfield, when I walked up to where I thought the deer was, there it was . Just behind the shoulder, never seen one that far away just disappear so fast! Can't see through the smoke! Fun ain't it!!
Old 03-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I've shot a lot of loose APP but never the sticks. Also I thought I would really try to make this Extreme the most max range rifle I own. I want to throw a Leupold scope on it, and really see it it will shoot 200 yards accurate. So I am ready to try all loads out there.. So its good to know that the powder does work in the Knights..

I have shot 80 grains in my LK-II and a XTP with good accuracy. I just have not pushed a rifle to the max in a long time.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

the smoke cleared and no deer in sight

Butt clench!

when I walked up to where I thought the deer was, there it was

Unclench!
Old 03-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Dominant Buck

I've had that feeling myself...

A worse one is shoot two deer (at the same time)during a blizzard with one bullet (so there is no way you can drag them out alone), field dress them, then walk two miles out of the forest in astraight lineto your truck and ATV so you can return and drag them out. Then when you come in on the old logging roads with the ATV(not the way you walked out mind you), you're not being able to find the deer because all the tracks in the old snow is covered. I know just how a mouse in a cage feels when the cat walk up and looks through the bars... frantic! I finally had to walk all the way back to the stand I shot them off, and track them back out to where I cleaned them, and look for ATV tracks. I then realized at one point I was not more then twenty five feet from them on the ATV, but the deer were covered by the blizzard, it was snowing that hard. That is the feeling of clenched!![:@] Unclenched!!
Old 03-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Glad you didn't end up leaving a food cache for the coyotes.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

Dave; a buddy of mine shoots 100g app w/240gr powerbelt out of his encore .50. He has taken 3 bucks out to 160yds. 1 or 2 dropped on the spot, the other went about 100yds down a steep bank(hill) into what he calls the HOLE!! He's tough, works out all the time. He really likes that load and it works for him!
Old 03-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I would just once from all my "magnum" rifles like to find one that would shoot an actual magnum load. They constantly push on advertizments about the ability of their rifles to shoot magnum loads, yet with all my inlines I do not shoot a "magnum load." The closest I come is in my Knight Disc as I will shoot 120 grains of loose powder in that and that same amount in one of my fast twist GMB's.

Then I want to go to the hay field and really see what a "magnum" VS a standard rifle will do..
Old 03-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I have been thinking of different loads to try out of the new Extreme with the MHC fluted barrel. I noticed at the little gun shop they had American Pioneer Sticks and JSG Sticks. I just wondered if anyone has ever shot them out of their Knight rifles. If so, what kind of results did you have and what bullet were you shooting. They also had Triple Se7en pellets so I could go that route..
That charts that Bryce Towsley published in American hunter showed APP and JSG sticks has lowest velocity of any of the powders and highest standard deviation. Here is one of the charts.
Chap

Old 03-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: cayugad

That charts that Bryce Towsley published in American hunter showed APP and JSG sticks has lowest velocity of any of the powders and highest standard deviation. Here is one of the charts.
Chap

Now here is the one for 777. Chap

Quick Reply: American Pioneer Powder & Knight Rifles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.