Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 JIM SHOCKEY GOLD POWDER >

JIM SHOCKEY GOLD POWDER

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

JIM SHOCKEY GOLD POWDER

Old 02-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default JIM SHOCKEY GOLD POWDER

This is the first time I have posted a question on the Black Powder Forum. I am relatively sure my question has beenasked here before but here goes. I have 2 muzzleloaders, a Thompson Encore that I have had for several years and a new Thompson Omega that I shot for the first time a couple of weeks ago. On the Encore I have used 110 grains of Pyrodex Pellets with Barnes 300 grain sabots and had excellent results (1 1/2 inch groups a 100 yards). I thought I would try the Jim Shockey Gold 150 grain sticks in the new Omega with Power Belt Platinum 270 grain bullets. Whereas, I can shoot many more times without cleaning than I can with the Pyrodex and the Encore, I can't group good enough to hit the broadside of a barn. I also tried this same powder and bullet in my Encore with the same results - totally unsatisfactory groups. Has anyone had similar experience with this powder or does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong? I know Jim Shockey shoots this powder all over the world or at least so he says. Please help.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:41 PM

Default RE: JIM SHOCKEY GOLD POWDER

Here, I'll save you the heartache. I dont have a clue why so many Inliners cram 3 pellets down the bore, Its not needed!

IMO, i'd ditch the pellets and go with loose powder.

http://www.gbofreeforums.info/ThePowerbeltForum/viewtopic.php?t=4

Hope this helps.

Also, TC doesnt have a good Rep. at shoot conicals. Most get lucky with powerbelts due to the plastic skirt. Wheather your TC will shoot them or not, is mainly up to your rifle and if TC bored your QLA correctly.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

or at least so he says
I think you hit the nail right on the head there bowhunter. If he does shoot JSG, I'd bet it's the powder and not the sticks.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

JD

Get Shockey's Gold in 3Fg loose Powder, and start with 80-100g and call me in the morning

Or better yet, get Pinnacle powder in 3fg loose, and get even better results
Old 02-28-2008, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

or at least so he says
I think you hit the nail right on the head there bowhunter. If he does shoot JSG, I'd bet it's the powder and not the sticks.
Exactly my thinking. I don't like them there pellets. Look like rabbit food or sumpin.