Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Boredom----How to make low cost tree stands for MLer hunting, gotta have Y-Tree >

Boredom----How to make low cost tree stands for MLer hunting, gotta have Y-Tree

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Boredom----How to make low cost tree stands for MLer hunting, gotta have Y-Tree

Old 02-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How to make low cost tree stands for MLer hunting, gotta have Y-Tree

I believe in comfort. Here's a 16 ft. ladder stand I use on my hunting lease. It's made from treated 2 X 4s and it bolted together with about a dozen1/4" galvanized bolts. If I want to move it, Ilay it down on the ground, take out the bolts and have three sections -the front ladder, rear support frame, and the seat/arm rest section.It's fairly easy to move, reassemble, and stand up. One guy can do it, but two is better.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How to make low cost tree stands for MLer hunting, gotta have Y-Tree

ORIGINAL: Semisane

I believe in comfort. Here's a 16 ft. ladder stand I use on my hunting lease. It's made from treated 2 X 4s and it bolted together with about a dozen1/4" galvanized bolts. If I want to move it, Ilay it down on the ground, take out the bolts and have three sections -the front ladder, rear support frame, and the seat/arm rest section.It's fairly easy to move, reassemble, and stand up. One guy can do it, but two is better.
Very nice, I see youlikecomfort, with the arm rest and the chair leaning back!! Do you have any written plans to build one of these?It looks pretty safe also, is the stand racheted to the tree next to it? What is total cost of all materials, bolts, pressure treated lumber, etc.
Chap
Old 02-25-2008, 06:44 AM

Looks like an accident waiting to happen if you ask me..

I have used the same thing,years ago..Trees grow and plywood gets weak..
Old 02-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Do you have any written plans to build one of these?
No I don't Chap. However, I do have some close-up pictures of it laying down in my back yard. You can get a pretty good idea of how to build it from them. If you want them, shoot me an e-mail.

It's not secured to a tree - it's free standing and very stable. I think the whole thing cost me close to $100 - not cheap, but it's a lifetime stand. I think I kept a materials list around here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. Basically, It's four 16 ft. 2x4s, (If I were re-doing it, Iwould probably go with 14 ft.)something like eight 8 ft. 2x4s, about a dozen lengths of EMT conduit,the nuts & bolts, and a couple of tubes of Liquid Nail.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

Here's mine that I do for bow hunting. I check it each year and if there's any doubt as to what to fix I fix it. They've worked for years, just up keep them and they are fine.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

all though i have no proplem with people making stand i wont due to my weight.
I think it is to early to hang wood stand why hang them 6 months or more before season to get rained on and maybe even snowd on this early
most people i talk to say use them for a year then trash them
well your already 6 or 8 months old when season roles around
Old 02-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: johnny2

Looks like an accident waiting to happen if you ask me..

I have used the same thing,years ago..Trees grow and plywood gets weak..
The plywood is 1.5" thick, two 3/4" plywood piecesscrewed together with drywall screws (or deck screws, whatever ya have). See picture, not weak, lasts for at least 10 years and if it ever starts to get spongy, you install another one right over top of it in a tree.

The safety belt is a must. Much better than a commercial stand that you leave out all the time, since the bolts rust etc. Not a safety risk.
Chap

Old 02-25-2008, 06:05 PM

For the price of the Climbing tree stands they have out these days, $99 i'd rather buy one of those and beable to move it around easy and pack it on my back.

I dont handle heights well anyways so you'll find me on the ground where we all belong
Old 02-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

For the price of the Climbing tree stands they have out these days, $99 i'd rather buy one of those and beable to move it around easy and pack it on my back.

I dont handle heights well anyways so you'll find me on the ground where we all belong
If your 40 I agree, if your 60 like I am then I disagree. Comfort and security are important. I like the ground too. Chap
Old 02-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I packed my 24 lb climber into the woods this year and all I got was a wrenched back.
Oh, I got to my scouted out site and climbed about 20 feet or so, rain all week and not much moving.
I don't have property to build a stand and leave it up, so a climber works best for me, right now.

Quick Reply: Boredom----How to make low cost tree stands for MLer hunting, gotta have Y-Tree

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.