Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 wild hog hunting in the swamps of florida >

wild hog hunting in the swamps of florida

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

wild hog hunting in the swamps of florida

Old 01-29-2008, 01:57 PM

Default wild hog hunting in the swamps of florida

Any suggestions to what would be a good bullet/powder load (50 caliber) to use on large wild hogs? Maximum shooting range would be around 120yds, but most shots are around the 75yd range. I have a New England Arms 50 cal. with a 24in barrel. Shoots 1-1/2" groups @ 100yds using Hornady XTP 300 grain with 100 grain pyrodex pellets.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: wild hog hunting in the swamps of florida

grunterhunter6574

This is really going to seem weird coming from me... I am a diehard Nosler fan... but the senario you describe with the gun you are talking about...

80 grains of T7-3f and a .503/460 grain Bull Shop Conical - it will anchor your hog dead down.... if you are making running shots - then I guess I would slide back to a Nosler 300 grain Partition...

Old 01-29-2008, 04:24 PM

We lived in Lake City in the last few years that I worked and I got to do some hog hunting on the Seminole Indian Res. I spent a lot of time in the Central and Northern parts of Florida. Most all of the hogs were feral hogs but they were wild and tough. We hunted them with Bows and Handguns andthey did a good job on them. I think either the 260 nosler or the XTP will do just fine. If you hit them in the right place I think almost any of the 50 cal bullets will work just fine.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the load you have worked up will work just fine. Unless you just are wanting to work up a new load, I'd stick with what you are familiar with and what you have trust in. Although I hadn't thought of it, I like sabotloader's idea about a big'ol conical. I like the performance ofGreat Plains conicals, you might try and see how the 385's group. That'd be fun-and who knows you might wind up findin' a newelkload and then you'd have an excuse to travel out west to elk hunt. That's a win-win situation there.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Dominant Buck

If the load you have is accurate which is sounds like it is, there is no reason that should not harvest a hog if you place that bullet in the right place. I never had the pleasure yet to hunt them. I can't wait to do it through. Sabotloader was talking about a conical. Conicals are good hog medicine as well as for anything else. It us probably what I will use when my chance comes.

That's a great picture. What did that hog weigh? Also that young man there looks mighty happy to be allowed to sit on that hog... Probably wondering when it will be their turn to hunt...
Old 01-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is a good load for hogs. Most hogs are shot atless than 75 yards.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:50 AM

Thanks for the input! The hog in the pic weighed 105lbs. That is my "Lil Man" sitting on him. All I mainly hunt in Florida is hogs. I'm addicted to it. There's not another animal on this planet that has a "will-to-survive" that is as strong as what a hog has.(my opinion). I have shot 'em with 185grain .270 core-lokt bullets and never to find them....only to harvest the same hog the following year with a crippled up front end. Once hit, they will run to the next county if their running gear isnt broke down, or they will wait under the palmetto's for you to come for them and then.....well thats when it becomes dangerous! Awesome animals to hunt, and they have a heart of steel. When you find waterways and swamps in florida, you find hogs. When your ready for a hunt of a different pace, head south.....we always welcome others to join us. Here's a few hogs on a feeding area (while during the off season).

Old 01-30-2008, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

I know what you mean about getting dangerous. I hunted in Texas with some fellas for wild hog and at night with the use of lights mounted to our scopes. It was about 2 in the morning up in my stand when a 250 lb hog came trotting in. I blasted it right between the eyes at about 20 feet with a Shockwave Bonded 300 gr bullet with my muzzy, my gawd the woods lit up with fire. It was awesome. I got down and called the owner who was still up waiting for all of us to get back to camp, and he showed up with a sawed off shotgun loading extra rounds as he said now you've injured him and he'll run you over if we find him. We went looking around in the dark for him and blood sign. We never found him or much blood that would be considered a good shot. The owner laughed and said you sure educated that boy and said if any of his clients shot a hog with a bullet lodged in his forhead he was going be calling me with a photo. That was my first hog hunt and man it was fun. Do it if you can because there is nothing like it.