Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

XTP

Old 02-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: XTP

I recently shot a Javelina with one of those. The results are in an earlier post with some graphic pics.

I was surprised at the expansion (almost excessive) and weight loss at a fairly moderate velocity.

Damage was extensive, but I'm a bit leary of driving these handgun bullets at high velocities.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2646218
Old 02-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

Also, just to experiment, I tried these out in three of my .45 sidelock pistols on tuesday (used blue Harvester sabots).

Got bad key-holing with two of the pistols at 25 yds. One, an old "Ultra-High" Kentucky-style pistol, made in Japan, shot them pretty well.

Seems that they won't always stabilize in a short barrel. Of the three pistols, the Ultra-High had the loosest fit and shot them the best.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

"I sent an email to Hornady on 1/22,just got a reply- 2375fps is what they said. That is HOT"

That is HOT. I'm very surprised that they claim the 200 grainer is rated that fast. (I assume you're still talking about the 10mm 200 grain XTP)This year I shot a doe with the XTP - hit at about 1900 fpsimpact velocity (this is an estimate). The bullet penetrated diagonallythrough the chest cavity, and I found it lodged under thefar side hide. When I field dressed the deerI found that the jacket had separated from the bullet - the lead core held together pretty well, although it lostsome weight. Internal damage was extensive, toput it mildly.

So I can only imagine what might happen at 2375 fps. My guess is you are going to getjacket separation, quick, massive expansion, probably somefragmentation. Couldbe a great load for coyotes, though.Personally, I'd dial it down to 2000fps max for shooting at deer.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BrushPopper

I recently shot a Javelina with one of those. The results are in an earlier post with some graphic pics.

I was surprised at the expansion (almost excessive) and weight loss at a fairly moderate velocity.

Damage was extensive, but I'm a bit Leary of driving these handgun bullets at high velocities.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2646218
Wow!!!.....That is DAMAGE for a 200grXTP[:-] I have been using 240gr XTP Sabotsand 85grs of Goex 2ffor 12+ yrs and I have been completely satisfied with the results.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

Yea-that is the 10mm/200 I'm refering to. I did not tell them I was using a 50 cal so the reply was "depends on the sabot you are using,you can use the tan sabot,and make sure your rifle can safely handle 150 grs of powder" I am pretty the tan sabot is for a 45 cal. Idont think the velocity would change in a 50 cal with blue sabot. I was thinking more like 1950/2000 max in my Omega.

Charlie
Old 02-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Chasam60

Here is some ballistic information with 110grains of T7

Old 03-01-2008, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

I think I will try this load. If the weather ever changes.thanks

Charlie