Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Headed to Alabama for ML season >

Headed to Alabama for ML season

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Headed to Alabama for ML season

Old 01-14-2008, 12:18 PM

Default Headed to Alabama for ML season

I am having a hard time waiting on thurs morning. I am leaving for North Alabama for 5 days of ML hunting. No telephone ( cell won't work there )no honey do's just quiet time. I am hunting a couple of days by myself and the my 2 son's and a grandson will be coming down later.. Ido have a generator , propane heater and plenty of food so I will be OK. The TV WILL NOT be on and the propane Heater will just be on until the wood heater gets cranked up. Deer have been spotty but we have still had a good year. Only 4 on one side bucks can be taken and u must shoot a doe first. This trip I hope to shoot couple of does for some elderly ladies at church and if a nice buck shows up that would be nice. If my son had his 4 wheeler here I would leave NOW! Here is where you will find me
Old 01-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Headed to Alabama for ML season

Good for you. On a hunt like that, taking a deer is a bonus. The hunt is the thing.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Dominant Buck

That looks like a wonderful way to spend five days .... good luck deer hunting.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

Yep very nice only thing better is if it could be longer than 5 days
Redclub
Old 01-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

oldwun

Larry, you know for me it not always about about what you might harvest on the trip to the woods... I guess I am beyond that at my age, it really is all about being out there. Certainly, if the animal of the trip comes along - that is really a bonus - but I have always said... right fter you pull the trigger the work begins again.

My wife worries als the time when I go out by myself, but for me it is a rejuvenating thing - I love walking around in the woods. Unfortunately I can not go as deep or a rugged as I use or that I want to now but but it is a very peaceful time...

Good luck.... have a whole lot of quality bonding time....

mike
Old 01-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

Old Wun-sounds like a fun time with your family. Good luck and looks like a nice place to spend 5 days.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:53 PM

Mike I agree that after the kill the work begins. At nearly 70 I am much more selective on the shots at animals I make. I sometimes will go down and set in one of 9 ladders with out bow or ML and if it's raining I will set in one of the shooting houses. The tin roof kind of puts me to sleep but that's alright. My wife doesn't much like for me to go by myself but she understands. During bow season I passed up on some nice Alabama 6 pointers. I just like the outdoors. My doc told my wife to let me enjoy these final years. She is doing just that. I laughed when the boys built these shooting houses but I must say I sure enjoy them.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm with you there oldwun. For the last year or so I've probably seen as manydeer in my dreams while snoozing in a box stand as I've seen looking out of the window. Love it when it rains! Also, the "shoot/don't shoot" decision is always accompanied bythe thought "do I really want to clean a deer today?" Heck, just shoot the rabbit on the food plot - it's easier to carry out and clean, and cooks up pretty well.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:22 PM
Spike

Semisane,

I know this is an old thread, but you got me laughing.

I guess I've always wondered if any of the other guys were like me, watching that nice buck or doe wander past me while I'm thinking, "If I take the shot, then I've gotta do a BUNCH of work!" And then, of course, I immediately fall back to sleep. Some of the most peaceful days I've ever spent, I spent ignoring nice-looking deer, and scaring them away with my snoring.

Jim
Old 01-24-2017, 12:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Nope! I can honestly say when a legal deer crossed my path in gun season, if the shot was good, the deer went home. I have all the time in the world to clean a gun or clean and butcher a deer. What always drove me was the taste of the venison on the grill. I am a meat eater and always will be.

Quick Reply: Headed to Alabama for ML season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.