Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Buckshot in a Muzzleloading Shotgun >

Buckshot in a Muzzleloading Shotgun

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Buckshot in a Muzzleloading Shotgun

Old 01-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Buckshot in a Muzzleloading Shotgun

I was considering buying a Muzzleloading shotgun (newer type) in either 12 or 10 gauge. Has anyone ever shot buckshot from theirs?

If so, what size of pellets, weight and what load? What would be the effective range for it?

Thanks and Happy New Years.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Buckshot in a Muzzleloading Shotgun

I've shot some #4 Buck out of my .62 caliber smoothbore just to see what it would feel like, and because I was sent the wrong shot. But there is nothing we can really hunt in Wisconsin with it so there is no need to shoot it. But I am not too sure if some of the modern shotgunscan shoot it because of the chokes...
Old 01-03-2008, 04:57 AM

I shoot it out of a 12ga Pedersoli SxS. Your gun will tell you what size pellets and charge give the best pattern, the effective range will depend on how stout the charge is. I use 90grains of 2f Goex with 12-#1 pellets and won't even think about anything over 40 yards. I use a 1/4" cardboard wad over the powder, put the pellets in a dime wrapperand just stuff it down-the dime wrapper acts as an overshot wad. Pretty effective for me but you will have to put your time in at the patterning board, all guns are different.

Doug
Old 01-03-2008, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dang, why didn't I think of the dime wrapper trick? Sounds like a good idea to me! I'm going to ask the bank for some dime wrappers and put my IC tube in the NewEnglander for some patterning soon.
Thanks for the idea Doug!