Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Lee Liquid Alox for muzzleloader bullets >

Lee Liquid Alox for muzzleloader bullets

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lee Liquid Alox for muzzleloader bullets

Old 12-15-2007, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lee Liquid Alox for muzzleloader bullets

Got rain/snow/sleet this morning and it ruined my deer hunting plans, but the mail delivery gal saved my day from being a total loss. She delivered my new 250 grain Lee REAL mould!
So I fired up the stove in my shop and plugged in the lead pot and set out to salvage the day. Cast up a bunch of the 250 grain REALs and compared them to the 320 grain REALs I usuallycast. They are slightly less in diameter than the 320s. The bullet has bands that contact the bore and wide grooves between the bands. Each band increases in diameter from base to nose. The 320 has 4 bands, the 250 3 bands. They both start out at about bore size(.501 for the 250 - .503 for the 320), and thenincrease to .511, then .516 (where the 250 stops) and the 320 adds a .521 band. The 320 weighs in heavy at closer to 325 grains, but the 250 comes out 5 grains light at 244.9 avg.
Should be easier to load with the deletion of the largest diameter band to engrave into the rifling.

I'm thinking of trying a liquid alox coating for lube on them. Will I have any problems with liquid alox & BP?
I believe we've discussed liquid alox here in the past, and several members DO use it. I went ahead and coated 25 or 30 bullets with thinned lube (alcohol thinner)so they would dry faster.

The chart Lee includes is on the conservative side on load recommendations (fffg BP -22 grains min to 75 grains max), but they add that with modern rifles loads can be increased beyond their suggestions. I'll probably start off with about 70 grains fffg Goex. I use 80 grains fffg Goex with the 320 REAL for good accuracy from my T/C NewEnglander.

Now I have a new bullet to test before the late muzzleloader season the end of this month. If they shoot accurately maybe I'll get a chance to test one on a deer this year!
Old 12-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Lee Liquid Alox for muzzleloader bullets

I tried the liquid alox lube route once and the bullets which were normally accurate were terrible for accuracy with the alox on them. I made up some Junior Lube with the liquid alox and that worked much better. When you shoot a deer with one, the results will be a very pleasant surprise. It drops them in their tracks most the time. What did you're weigh out at?
Old 12-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

What did you're weigh out at?
The 250s were 244.9 average.
What's the formula for the Junior lube?
Old 12-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Dominant Buck

HOW TO MAKE JUNIOR LUBE (off the Internet)[/b]
· exactly 3 fluid ozs of melted lard
· exactly 400 grs of solid beeswax [/b]
· exactly 100 grs of Alox solid bullet lube.[/b]

needed to keep the total volume of this new (and marvelous) Junior Lube to about 4 fluid ozs so it would fit in a medicine bottle [/b]
ought to use exactly 3 fluid ozs of liquid lard and the equivalent of about 1 fluid oz of liquid beeswax [/b]
should keep using exactly 100 grs of Alox bullet lube for consistency and because it's expensive. [/b][/ul]
When I made it I used 4 ounces of liquid castor oil. Then 400 grains of bees wax, and 100 grains of liquid Alox. Melt the bees wax first, mix the castor oil into the bees wax, then add the Alox and stir. It worked real good. If you have the solid Alox that also works, melting it in with the bees wax. It makes a nice solid lube.[/b]
[/b]
Junior lube is an excellent patch lube as well for shooting roundball...[/b]
[/b]
My 250 grain REALs weighed 256 grains... must be a difference in the lead somewhere. They sure shoot good though.[/b]
Old 12-15-2007, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used Liquid Alox diluted by half or a bit more with mineral spirits, then pan lube and sit on wax paper to dry. Unless you dilute it, the Alox takes an eternity to dry (it seems to me at least). Those bullets had just a golden coating generally with a bit more at the base of each lube groove (grooves not filled or even close). They shot well and I had no problems with fouling using Pyrodex.

Stuff stinks to high heaven though!