Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sighting in.....

Old 12-14-2007, 09:51 PM

Default Sighting in.....

Just put a new vx-11 on my knight and was wanting to know what would be the easiest way to sight it in without spending all day at the range. Pretty new to black powder(pretty much dont know anything about them). Do i need to clean the barrel/breech plugevery shot or every other till i get close on paper.

Doubt it makes a diff. but i will be shooting hornady sst 250 gr. with 2 pellets

O ya i dont have a bore sighter....
Old 12-15-2007, 02:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sighting in.....

ORIGINAL: 4 Buck

Just put a new vx-11 on my knight and was wanting to know what would be the easiest way to sight it in without spending all day at the range. Pretty new to black powder(pretty much dont know anything about them). Do i need to clean the barrel/breech plugevery shot or every other till i get close on paper.

Doubt it makes a diff. but i will be shooting hornady sst 250 gr. with 2 pellets

I get on paper with a new gun by sighting in at 25 yards so I am dead on, that really gets windage good and get you on paper at 50 and 100. Then I move back to 50 and get it shooting about 1 inch high and then I go back to 100 and get it shooting 3 inches high. In this manner your shooting thru a 6" pipe from 0 to about 175 yards with a 250 or 300g bullet, this is called MPBR, Maximum Point Blank Range.

You can also take your breech plug out and look thru your barrel at a target at 25 yards and get the scope lined up by adjusting it. I find that I don't have to do that, if I just shoot at 25 yards to begin with. Use a box that is good sized, like what paper comes in, so you can see your shot. You could be low or high, but the box will get it at 25 yards.
Chap Gleason
Old 12-15-2007, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

I always "bore sight" a new scope because I usually can't wait to get out to the range and I want to fiddle with it while I'm still at home. Iset a cardboard box on my dining room table open side up.Then cut a couple of notches in two opposite top edges to set the rifle in. Put masking tape over it to secure it to the box if necessary - or it might just lay there OK by itself. Take out the breech plug and look through the bore. Raise or lower THE BOX with magazines, newspapers, or whatever to line up the center of the bore on some small object 50-75 yards away (I've even used the corner of a window on a neighbor's house as a "target"). If you cannot remove the breechplug and can still use the sights with the scope on, you can line up the sights on something. Then, without moving the rifle, move the crosshairs on the scope to the object you're sighted in on. You'll be very close when you fire that first shot.
Good Luck

Old 12-15-2007, 06:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

A laser bore sighter caneliminate a lot of shooting and frustration. Mine gets a lot of use sighting in the guns of friends and the folks who i meet at the range. There is a 1" target on a wall 25 feet from the aiming point in our house. By laser boresighting it is often possible to eliminate the 25 yard zero. My laser boresighter has been used so muchthat the batteries were replaced twice.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

Got a gun vise or solid rest? Put up a target at 20 feet. Aim at a very small mark and fire. Lock rifle in vise with crosshairs on point of aim.Without moving rifle,adjust scope so crosshairs intersect the bullet hole. This will put you dead on out beyond 50 yards or more. In the Marines we shot the 900 inch range. Gives you Battle Zero out to 300 yds with an M-14.

Charlie
Old 12-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: 4 Buck

If you have a rifle rest, that will do. If you don't a simple cardboard box works fine. Cut a V in opposite sides of the box. Set the box in a manner where you can look through the bore of the rifle at something approximately 13 yards away. Usually a living room or hall way works fine. Put a spot on the wall and them move the sight to that spot. That should put you on paper at 13 yards. The rest is just a matter of sighting in your rifle like normal.

You only need to swab the barrel between shots. You do not have to remove the breech plug. Just swab the barrel between shots and give it a final cleaning at the end of the day.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Spike

http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/pdfs/BDC_manual.pdf
Read the part about sighting in your rifle.
very good seems like it would save time
Old 12-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never bothered using a boresighter, although I could see how nice one would be. With small-bore rifles I sight down the bore and get the scope lined up with whateve object I see through the bore. With a ML (inline) you could do the same thing, but with the large bore I've not had great success getting it close. What I do has already been suggested. Get yourself a large box (so you can see your hits even if you're off the paper) and put your target on it. Put it at 25 yards and shoot from a rest. I shoot two shot groups at this range as flyers aren't as big of an issue. Get the shots dead center at 25 yards or very close. Then move back to 100 yards and repeat. You should be on the paper, but not necessarily (hence the BIG box). Shoot at least a 3 shot group before moving your zero (no better way to waste time and ammo than chasing flyers). Get the group where you want it, I usually sight my ML's in about 2-3" high at 100 yards. If you plan on shooting at game past 100 yards, and your range allows it, verify your zero at the longest range you plan to shoot at in the field. The MPBR method mentioned above is an efficient way to sight in a rifle to take full advantage of its trajectory.

Since you're new to muzzleloaders, make sure you take your time and concentrate on each loading step to get the most accurate results possible. If your rifle won't shoot a group, then there is no point trying to zero it.

Good luck,

Mike
Old 12-15-2007, 09:45 PM

What kind of a trajectory am i looking at around 150-200 yds if sighted in a couple inches high @ 100 yds????
Old 12-16-2007, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

That will depend a lot on what charge and bullet you are using. Do a google for black powder ballistics and you should be able to find a chart that will give you some good info.

For example:
BULLET 50 caliber, 385 grain HP maxistyle, Black Powder* = 90 grains FFg

Muzzle
50 yds.
100 yds.
150 yds.
200 yds.

Ft. per Sec.

FootPounds Energy

Traj: 100 yds zero

You can find this in chart form on pages.sssnet.com/go2erie/muzzle.htm - 24k

Many people don't realize how much a bullet will drop after it's zero range; that's because it's already falling when it gets there.

Good Luck