HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Who makes a good inline rifle??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/221440-who-makes-good-inline-rifle.html)

johnny2 12-07-2007 11:20 AM

Who makes a good inline rifle???

So tell me who makes a good shooting inline within resonable cost.I have been doing some reading on the newer CVA and found some good reviews on the net..Any opinions here? I am in the market for one of them inlines to use here in New York....What is a good one to get..I think I would like one that is drilled and tapped for a scope as well....Can you use round balls in these newer rifles or are they strickly for the sabots...I have lots of 2F Goex powder on hand..Have never fired one of them..I do have a cap lock in 50 cal..it is an older model CVA...But am thinking of something newer to use now that they are more legal to use in most states....Thanks for any advice you have to offer me...John

cayugad 12-07-2007 11:34 AM

RE: Looking for a muzzle loader???

While inline rifles will shoot roundball with mild powder charges, most of them were designed to shoot sabots and conicals. You could always mount a scope on your CVA and shoot roundballs with that if you like.

Most all inlines I know of come drilled and tapped for scopes. As for what model you might like, that would depend on your wallet size, and what you like to shoot. Do the break open or drop blocks appeal to you? Do you just want something able to shoot 100 yards and use if a couple days out of the year?

Are there any rifles that have caught your eye? All of them scoped are 100+ yard rifles generally. So look in the stores, and web sites, if you see one you like, let us know. We'd be more then happy to tell our experiences with it and what you might expect from it.

Buckhunter46755 12-07-2007 02:51 PM

I bought a T/C Z5 Omega for just under $300. I really like it alot. T/C rifles have always been good to me and I like their accuracy. It depends on what you are looking for. In my case, I bought the Omega as my "lifetime" rifle. Meaning I probably won't upgrade from there. At least for a few years....lol

It cost a little more thanmost of the CVA's but I think it's worth it in the long run. It also came with the barrel alreadt free floated the accuracy and ease of sighting it in was almost scary. I am sold on it. Some of the newer high end TC's have the speed breech which is nice, but it is not neccesary. Just a convience. I can have my BP out in a few seconds anyways.

chris

UtahRob 12-07-2007 03:10 PM

I agree with chris

You can get the TC Omega Z5 in a kit at some walmarts for around 289 .00 or less depending if you still have any muzzleloader seasons still in your area . Our local walmart has 5 in stock .

wabi 12-07-2007 04:41 PM

If I were looking for an economical model I'd look at the CVA Wolf.
No, I don't own one, but I'd be happy to trade a Traditions Persuit Pro for one.
Looked at one, and the overall fit & finish beats the higher priced Traditions - and the trigger was better, too!

NightFire 12-07-2007 06:33 PM

The Omega is a great one, the only problem I have with mine is with the scope. It's difficult to get the cap in with the scope on. A break barrel would be more convenient.

Buckhunter46755 12-07-2007 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: NightFire

The Omega is a great one, the only problem I have with mine is with the scope. It's difficult to get the cap in with the scope on. A break barrel would be more convenient.
That's because technically the Omega was designed to use the open sights. The Encore with a scope. It also depends on the scope of course. I have a Simmons Pro Diamond 4x32 shotgun scope on mine. I also have see-thru rings. I am thinking about putting some regular profile rings on it after season is over. As long as you have a scope with a good eye relief you should be alright. The Summins I have was only $60 bucks as is very nice for the money. Also has lifetime warranty and guaranteed to stay Zeroed when mounted properly.

chris

gleason.chapman 12-07-2007 07:50 PM

RE: Who makes a good inline rifle???

ORIGINAL: johnny2

So tell me who makes a good shooting inline within resonable cost.I have been doing some reading on the newer CVA and found some good reviews on the net..Any opinions here? I am in the market for one of them inlines to use here in New York....What is a good one to get..I think I would like one that is drilled and tapped for a scope as well....Can you use round balls in these newer rifles or are they strickly for the sabots...I have lots of 2F Goex powder on hand..Have never fired one of them..I do have a cap lock in 50 cal..it is an older model CVA...But am thinking of something newer to use now that they are more legal to use in most states....Thanks for any advice you have to offer me...John
Read this: http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2h.muzzleloader.htm

GUN ARTICLES AND REVIEWS:[*]The Austin & Halleck 420 Rifle (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]The CVA Optima Pro Rifle (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]Knight's .52 Caliber Rifles (Article by Toby Bridges)[*]The Knight Disc Elite Rifle (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]NEW Knight KP1 Utility Rifle (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]The Knight Revolution: Just another Revolting Development? (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]The Knight Vision Rifle (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]The Lyman Deerstalker Left Handed Flintlock (Article by Terry Hart)[*]The NEF Sidekick Rifle (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]Pedersoli .45-70 "Officers" Model Trapdoor Rifle (Press Release by Toby Bridges)[*]The Remington 700 ML / MLS Rifles (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]Ruger Old Army Cap-N-Ball Revolvers (Article by Chuck Hawks)[*]The Ruger 77/50RSO Rifle (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]Savage 10MLBSS-II Accu-Trigger Rifle (Gun Review by Chuck Hawks)[*]The Thompson/Center Contender G2 Rifle (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]The Thompson/Center Encore 209 x 50 SS (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]The Thompson/Center Encore Pro Hunter 209x50 (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]The Thompson/Center Omega 50 Rifle (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]Thompson's Omega Z-5 Rifle (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]NEW: Thompson/Center Triumph Rifle (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]The Traditions Evolution Premier Rifle (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]Traditions Express O/U Muzzleloading Rifle (Review by Randy D. Smith)11/2007[*]The Traditions Pursuit Pro Rifle (Article by Randy D. Smith)[*]Uberti/Remington 1858 New Model Army Revolvers (Article by Chuck Hawks)[*]The White 98 "Elite Hunter" Rifle (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]The Winchester X-150 Rifle (Article by Randy Wakeman)

and when your reading, remember this is one man's opinion and usually from a person that does NOT shoot the rifle.After reading the reviews, ask an owner on this forum for their "good and bad points", each rifle will have some. Best Wishes on your selection. Chap Gleason

AZBear 12-07-2007 07:56 PM

Check Cabela's bargain cave...they have CVA .50 cal starting at $199.99 up to about $350.00. and theyhave free shipping for the next couple of days.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21404-cat601811-cat370001&rid=&indexId=cat370001&navAc tion=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&par entType=index&parentId=cat370001&id=002688 3

slsail 12-07-2007 08:08 PM

RE: Who makes a good inline rifle???

You reallyneedto take a look at the TC triumph.
easy to remove breech plug supper easy to clean.
I love mine .
I compared it to others nd it really seems to be the best set up.