Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Which is better loose powder or pellets? >

Which is better loose powder or pellets?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which is better loose powder or pellets?

Old 12-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Which is better loose powder or pellets?

I have a couple of questions and I am fairly new to muzzleloading. Which is best to use loose powder or the pellets also which burns cleaner triple 7 or pyrodex? I am shooting an inline winchester Apex. Another thing what do you think of the powerbelt bullets?
Old 12-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which is better loss powder or pellets?

ORIGINAL: bigcountry25

Another thing what do you think of the powerbelt bullets?
Since you asked:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/powerbelt_page.htm

I am in the hater's camp, others are in the lovers camp. You will hear from both. They work at low charges (i.e <= 1400 fps). I like Noslers, Barnes and Gold Dots, Hornady XTP for plinking.

As for loose powder or pellets, the loose is better since you can get an accurate load. Also the pellets cost a lot more, but they are easier for new ML hunters.

Chap Gleason
Old 12-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have always had my most accurate loads with loose powder. IMO you can regulate your pressure better with loose powder. More consistent pressure yields a more accurate load, again IMO. I do not have any experience with the power belts. I cast my full bore bullet's. Tom.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

"More consistent pressure yields a more accurate load, again IMO."

Indeed it does. i like to really lean on that ramrod hard. Have a 2" furniture knobthat goes on the end of the ramrod when i'm loading.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

I have heard of a powder call black mag3 is it any better than the triple 7 or pyrodex? Also what is the price of the black mag3?
Old 12-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a drill stop on my range rod. That way I seat the bullet to the exact depth every time. I also weigh my loads. I also use the bullet aligner. I am also careful how I seat the bullet in the sabot before loading. I have noticed some major inconsistencies in the sabot's. It also helps toweigh the bullets, the problem with weighing is they are so expensive that you havetoo shoot them anyway. My goal is 100% consistency.

Whenever I cast bullet's I weigh them as I am casting. I do not get in any hurry when I cast. I only do about 50 at a time. I cast with a cadence, allowin 10 seconds for weighing.

I am sure all this sounds a little anal?? But I have plenty of time on my hands. Tom.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

As far as powders go it is all in what shoots good in your gun, and if you have the time and dollars to find which works best for you.

As far as PB bullets go...I like the idea but my Encore doesn't like them at all no matter load of powder I shoot them with. Once again try'em and if they work good if they don't then move on to something else.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:16 PM

Nothing but excellent results with powerbelts ive used over the years. Most people try shooting them with 150 grains powder at short distances and then complain about them. 150 grains is not needed. Years of hunting with powerbelts i used the smallest powerbelt i'll use, a 225 grainer pushed by 80 grains triple 7. 80 powder, no matter what kind of powder it is, is the maximim "In my opinion" that should be used when shooting the 225,245,295 grain powerbelts. Ive shot all 3 and had great results, but the 80 grain charge with the 225 gave me the best performance on game.

I'd go loose powder. Pellets are like the 150 grain magnum charges... Not needed!
Old 12-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Typical Buck

I love Black Mag'3 powder and am hoardingseveral pounds of it.

Magkor Industries (BM'3 maker) entered a joint venture with MDM to develop a preformed load. As a result, Magkor is currently not producing BM'3. Which is a huge mistake in my view. I've shot several pounds of BM'3 and it really does perform to the claims in my view.

www.magkor.com

Not really sure what happened but good luck finding any BM'3 as a result.

As far as better than 777, I would say it's cleaner than 777 but about the same otherwise. 777 is an excellent powder which I also shoot a bunch of.

Tahquamenon