Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bullet selection for my Daugters CVA Mag Bolt for whitetails. >

Bullet selection for my Daugters CVA Mag Bolt for whitetails.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bullet selection for my Daugters CVA Mag Bolt for whitetails.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:04 AM

Default Bullet selection for my Daugters CVA Mag Bolt for whitetails.

Looking for your thoughts on bullets for my daughters gun. She is 23 but I don’t want something that she will have trouble stuffing down the barrel. I have a lot of bullets to try. I have a lot of power belts and they load easy and group okay. Probably her shot will not be over 75 yards. I was shooting 100gr T7 but backed it down after reading here that sometimes the powerbelts fragment when pushed to fast. What’s a good choice of load to try with XTP pistol bullets?
Old 12-05-2007, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bullet selection for my Daugters CVA Mag Bolt for whitetails.

Not to speak for others, but I'd go with a precision rifle 220 grain dead center bullets and 80 grains of 777 powder. You should get really good accuracy and the recoil is minimal.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Barnes Expander MZ 300gr with the black Crush Rib sabots in my CVA Wolf. Loads easy and the second load goes in as easy without swabbing if a second shot is needed.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:35 AM
Spike

I have the same rifle and it shoots a 250 grain Barnes MZ with 100 grains of 777 ffg withexceptional accuracy. It shoots the Winchester 260 grain Platinum to the same point of impact at 100yards with the same amount of 777.They both hit 2 inches high at 100 yards.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:54 AM

What grain of powerbelts do you have on hand? 245-300 grainers will perform best with 80 grains of powder.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Since her shots will not be more then 75 yards, you have powerbelts, and powder, and you do not want something that would kick or scare her, I personally would start her out with 85 grains of Pyrodex RS and a powerbelt. That should give you good accuracy and good penetration. I personally would not exceed 100 grains. I shoot a CVA Staghorn and 90 grains of Pyrodex RS and a powerbelt is a deadly accurate combination.

As for the XTP start with the same powder charge of 85 grains.. again it should give good accuracy and good killing power..

Good luck to her and you for that matter...
Old 12-05-2007, 11:30 AM

I have 245 and 295 PB, Al ot of the PR bullet weight and some 245 barnes all copper
Old 12-06-2007, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowbender6

Looking for your thoughts on bullets for my daughters gun. She is 23 but I don’t want something that she will have trouble stuffing down the barrel. I have a lot of bullets to try. I have a lot of power belts and they load easy and group okay. Probably her shot will not be over 75 yards. I was shooting 100gr T7 but backed it down after reading here that sometimes the powerbelts fragment when pushed to fast. What’s a good choice of load to try with XTP pistol bullets?
70g of 777 with a 250g XTP Mag is a nice light load (I like the Mag, they are tougher on bone). I shot the 300ga couple of years ago in my FL and it was very accurate to 50 yard with a TC Flintlock.

I don't know if you would consider another rifle, but there is a lady on this forum (Doegirl)and Doug's Savage Forum that shoots a Savage 10ML2 . With 5744 at 44g with a 250g bullet, it is about like shooting a .243, very nicelighter load. You could go down to 41g of 5744 and still get good power and accuracy. Also shoot a 200g XTP or SW with 41g of 5744 and have a very light shooting gun that wouldl give excellent terminal performance.
Chap Gleason
Old 12-06-2007, 05:54 AM

I don't think smokeless poweder is legal in Mich. - thanks
Old 12-06-2007, 06:00 AM
Fork Horn

I think if you stay somewhere around 200 grains up to a maximum of 250 grains for a bullet you should be fine. I was amazed at the reduced recoil between the 220 grain and the 300 grain bullet. Let us know what you go with. Greg

Quick Reply: Bullet selection for my Daugters CVA Mag Bolt for whitetails.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.