Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Ok Im confessing here..... >

Ok Im confessing here.....

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ok Im confessing here.....

Old 11-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ok Im confessing here.....

LOL... Went to the range today to dial a Bushnell Trophy 1.5x5 in for my Traditions Buckhunter. Figured it was gonna take several shots so I decided to take some Rusty Duck Black Off and swab between shots. This is the first time I ever swabbed while shooting. All I can say is why didnt I start doing this 20 years ago. Funny but true.

Was shooting 300 gr Shockwaves with 90 grains of T7. IWhile swabbing I felt that crud ring I didnt think I was getting realll quick...like after 1 shot. Good news though the gun absolutely loved that load and I didnt even try anything else. When it was all said and done i was getting around a 2-2.5 inch group at 100 so Im a happy camper! The thing that makes me the happiest is the fact that this is a $100 gun...lol. It will group damn near anything I run through it really well. Very very unfinicky. I sorta doubt theres many things walking out there that could withstand that load and it should absolutely hammer whitetails.

Anybody else out there using this load? I am definitely a believer in the swabbing now. Groups were just as tight at the 15th shot as they were the 3rd shot. I would really like to know what the hell is up with that crud ring though....have read bunches about it on here but this was my first experience with it. The interesting thing now is gonna be seeing how much easier the gun is to completely clean or if it is.

I've been shooting bp's for over 20 years but you guys have taught me tons in a short time. Just makes me reallize how little I did know..
Old 11-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ok Im confessing here.....

The crud ring is concrete-flavored caramel.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know exactly what it is the first time ya find it...thats for sure..lol.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Dominant Buck

My CVA Staghorn Magnum likes 90 grains and about anything I want to shove down it. I paid $89.99 for that rifle. While the stock to barrel fit is not the best, the rifle is sure a good shooter. Good luck hunting.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

I had a 89.00 dollar CVA eclipse mag: in 50 cal. this gun with 110 grains of pyrodex select would drive precision QT'S 40 in 235 grain at the 100 yd target it would drive tacks:My only dis-like was the plastic stock
I like the fell of real wood in my hands
Old 11-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice to know there are plenty of good shooting guns out there for not much money for folks wanting to start bp hunting!
Old 11-09-2007, 06:50 PM

That cva staghorn i traded off to wabi is an excellent grouper with 110 grains pyrodex p and a 300 grain xtp. But the 410 grain great plains conicals were a real sweet spot in that rifle.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper

I've been shooting bp's for over 20 years but you guys have taught me tons in a short time. Just makes me reallize how little I did know..
We all have our little systems, that work for us and our gun(s), most was acquired from reading the manual, listening to a friend or getting input from others. The nice thing about the forum, is we get to learn from each other, such as experiments that semisane did on sabots was great, cleaning techniques, new ML purchases, accuracy improvement, bullet performance, lube/no lube, the list goes on. When you switch powders or sabots or bullets it is a pretty big deal, since you then must determine if you will swab or not, use a tight fitting sabot or not or us an expanding bullet or a penetrating bullet, all while maintaining accuracy. We all learn a lot here. Chap Gleason