Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Stuck Breech Plug

Old 10-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Stuck Breech Plug

I have a Thompson Omega that I cannot get the Breech plug out of. It just wont let loose. Been trying spraying WD 40 on the plug for two days but it just wont loosen. Any suggestions?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Stuck Breech Plug

There have been numerous methods suggested if you check all the past threads. I have what I think is a new one however. It sort of depends on what you shot last (My guess would be Tripple Seven as it sticks more breechplugs than anything else. I would pour boiling water into the barrel and make sure the barrel is quite hot. Pour out the water and then take a wart removing spray (available at drug stores) usually liquid nitrogen just like the doctor uses. Spray the breechplug with the liquid nitrogen and when it is cool and the barrel is still hot try again. If that does not work you can still remove warts. (hot barrel expands, cold breechplug shrinks)
Old 10-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Dominant Buck

ML Keith... that's a cleaver idea.

Another way is to plug the breech hole and pour some Kroll Oil down it. Normally that stuff will penetrate anything.

Then there is the boiling water and ice water trick. Get some boiling water in a tea kettle and after you remove the barrel pour that down the barrel through the stuck plug until it is good and hot. Then dunk that breech end into ice water. After about two minutes in the ice bath get that barrel in a vice, put your wrench on it, and tap it gentle like on the wrench part with a hammer or something. I like to have a cross piece as leverage with the wrench. Tap on the cross piece. Normally the plug will let go.

Others do the opposite. They stick the barrel in the freezer over night. Then in the morning, near a vice, with all their tools out, and gloves, pour boiling water down the barrel for a couple barrel fulls and then put that barrel in a vice quickly and get your wrench on it.

Or send it back to Thompson Center.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

PA_BOW_HUNTER,If you were to give more info the chances are much greater that we could help you, the type and brand of gun what you shoot in it ,how long it has set while stuck and what you have tried both tools and solvent.
If it is an inline which you normally take the plug out of regular and you shoot 777 in it its one type of problem, in that case it would be wise to includ what type of breach plug grease you used. If this is the case try what
MLKeithsuggested if not give us more info and we will suggest some other things. Lee

Old 10-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

I would say if all else fails send it back to t/c shipping is around $10.00 :You pay only one way
and there is no charge.I had a screw on a base mount that just was frozen over the years:I could of drilled it out and retape it myself:I called t/c they said just return the barrel action and they took care of it no charge.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:47 PM

Pull the barrel and put in in a vise and use a propane torch to heat the breech plug area while keeping pressure on the plug with your tool. Thats the easiest way to do it and it actually works.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

"Another way is to plug the breech hole and pour some Kroll Oil down it."

Good advice, have used in other folks guns and it worked every time.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Guys, I plugged the breech hole with a toothpick and poured very hot water down the barrel. I didnt want to jam the toothpick in too far - did not want it to break off. Then I poured the hot water down the barrel and let it drip out the breech hole. I did this 3 times and then tried with a 7/16 6 sided socket and was able to get it out.

Thanks for the help!!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MLKeith

There have been numerous methods suggested if you check all the past threads. I have what I think is a new one however. It sort of depends on what you shot last (My guess would be Tripple Seven as it sticks more breechplugs than anything else. I would pour boiling water into the barrel and make sure the barrel is quite hot. Pour out the water and then take a wart removing spray (available at drug stores) usually liquid nitrogen just like the doctor uses. Spray the breechplug with the liquid nitrogen and when it is cool and the barrel is still hot try again. If that does not work you can still remove warts. (hot barrel expands, cold breechplug shrinks)
This is a great idea except for one thing; It won't work! I checked with the local drug store and the wart stuff is not really nitrogen but a mixture of propane and ether and only comes out in small dose amounts with some kind of sponge tip thing. I guess if you could get a full stream of liquid nitrogen out it would be dangerous as you could freeze off your finger, toe etc. Glad he got the plug out without much real effort.

Quick Reply: Stuck Breech Plug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.