HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   cva buckhorn (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/212776-cva-buckhorn.html)

wv bow hunter 10-18-2007 04:38 PM

cva buckhorn

Im am new to muzzle loading and was wondering if the cva buckhorn is a good muzzleloader since its so cheap?

cayugad 10-18-2007 04:52 PM

RE: cva buckhorn

I looked at a CVA Buckhorn while at Wal Mart today. $99.00 for it. I kind of liked the changes they have made over the Staghorn Magnum which it replaced (that and the Eclipse). The grip addition on the forearm and the grip area on the back stock area are nice. Other then that it looks to be a basic meat and potatoes rifle.

90 grains of Powder and a powerbelt or XTP and normally they are very good shooters if they are like my Staghorn at all. The one I looked at today even the hardware to stock fit was not all that bad. And they had a Wolf there for $119.00 which I have read some real good reviews on.

While I will tell you there are better rifles out there, I am sure that the Buckhorn would do you justfine if you use some reasonable loads. Don't expect it to be a 150 grain powder burner. Shoot strong charges with a good bullet,and you should kill deer just as dead as my expensive rifles do.

wv bow hunter 10-18-2007 04:58 PM

I also forgot to ask about how far they could shoot flat?

cayugad 10-18-2007 05:02 PM

Well no rifle technically shoots flat.. also how flat they shoot will depend on the load and the bullet you shoot. All of them have a rainbowtrajectory of sortsto them, its just a matter of how big an arch they make. I really would not worry about how flat it shoots. Learn what projectile it likes and then practice out to the distances you might encounter. If the rifle is sighted in at 100 yards, you know where that bullet will hit. All you need do is figure out the drop or climbof the different distances. That's done through range time.

Natural 10-19-2007 07:27 AM

My brother has a Buckhorn. It's a very accurate gun.The downside of this gunis that it's not the easiest gun to clean.You have to cap it with a primer tool and the action is open which makes it more susceptible to rain. These are just little things that bug me. If it were me I wouldgo with the Wolf. It's break open action and super easy to clean. I have the old model which is called the Beartooth Magnum and I love it. It shoots 2" groups at 100yards everytime. The Wolf is a little more money but worth it IMO.

Steve863 10-19-2007 08:19 AM

I will second the suggestion to get a Wolf. I just tried my new one out this past weekend and have to say that I was very impressed with it most especially since it costs so little! It was extremely fun and easy to shoot and I can't see how a blackpowder gun of any other type could be easier to clean. Being able to take the barrel off like on a shotgun makes the cleaning process a snap without having to make a mess of the action or anything else!

falcon 10-19-2007 08:48 AM

i just finished glass bedding the action and floating the barrel on a young friend's Buckhorn. Unlikeprevious CVA bolt action type inlines,the Buckhorn has two actionblocksand the action sits more solidlyin the stock than the old CVA guns. This makes for a very good bedding job.

This gun has as good a trigger as my Staghorn and weighs the same, about six pounds.Bill shot his gun at 100 yards yesterday and isvery happyat its' accuracy.

cayugad 10-19-2007 09:36 AM

Actually, I do not find the Staghorn I own, which is very similar other then the second lug block, to clean. In fact while the hammer striker model may seem old technology and should be hard to clean, remember.. cleaning is a process, in which all parts of the rifle are cleaned. When you have a firing pin that moves through a series of parts of the rifle, you have a special attention area.

The Buckhorn has a locking lug, a hammer spring, the hammer, and the breech plug all of which come out of the rifle. All of which are basic parts and easy to clean and make sure they are clean. Then the barrel and trigger are all that is left to make sure is nice and clean. They are easy to field strip on the range if there is a problem.

NowI have never cleaned a Wolf but would it not involvecocking hammers, firing pins, breech plug, and barrel. Do all of these come apart? Are all of these easy to disassemble and clean?

What I am trying to say is, the Buckhorn is not hard to clean. It might take a minute or two more. And it is legal in any State that normally allows inlines. It can handle musket, #11, and 209 ignition. With the double locking lugs I would think it has a good solid lock up.

falcon 10-19-2007 09:46 AM

"When you have a firing pin that moves through a series of parts of the rifle, you have a special attention area."

Exactly.

Those striker fired CVA guns like the Staghorn and Buckhorn have about the best trigger pull going.