Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Renegade?

Old 01-15-2003, 07:03 PM

Default Renegade?

does anyone know if Thompson/Center still makes the Renegade shot my friend's today and like it if they don't I'll probably go with the Pa hunter carbine is them 2 good choices or should I go with something else I'll be shooting round ball only, if that helps and need a flintlock only.
Old 01-15-2003, 07:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Renegade?

I am not sure if the Renegade is still made. I have an old one, and it shoots round balls or conicals just fine. If because of hunting restrictions, all I could use were round balls, I would use a rifle with a 1-60 or 1-66 twist. Lyman makes a Great Plains Rifle with such a twist. These were made to shoot the round ball. Don't get me wrong the 1-48 twist found in the Renegade or Hawkins will do fine, and it does get the options of conicals for hunting somewhere else or under different circumstances. I also own a Traditions Hawkins Woodsman with a 1-66 twist in .50 caliber. This thing is deadly with round balls. And they will take a white tail right off their feet if you place that ball right. If your set on T/C you might want to look at the Hawkins also. They are an excellent rifle. They are like the Renegade but have a little more fancy brass on them, and I think they have a couple inches on the barrel. Good shooting
Old 01-15-2003, 08:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I just went and looked on the T/C site at the Pennsylvania Hunter. The 1-66 twist is a perfect round ball rifle. I would not get the carbine but only because I like the longer rifles. With the QLA muzzle system, that sure looks like a nice rifle. I would lean towards that one......
Old 01-16-2003, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep an eye on Gunbroker.com and Auctionarms.com. You can pick up a nice used one there pretty reasonable.