Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 More shooting! Used triple 7 this time >

More shooting! Used triple 7 this time

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

More shooting! Used triple 7 this time

Old 09-22-2007, 12:28 PM

Default More shooting! Used triple 7 this time

I originally wanted to do some 100 yard shooting but had to settle for 50 yards due to the next door "neighbors" being up here and i dont think they'd enjoy the 300 grain bullets flying by them
Winchester X-150
100 grains Triple 7
300 grain XTP ".452
Knight high pressure sabot

3 shot group at 50yards.

Now that i am bored, i'm taking the traditions .50 kentucky out for the first time in many many moons and try some .490 roundballs i molded myself out of some used all lead powerbelts. These things are really soft so i am looking forward to seeing how these will shoot. Also molded up some balls made from used hornady great plains conicals. These are a little harder than the powerbelts so, i guess i will be doing quite a bit of shooting today.

[:'(] done shooting the kentucky. My shoulder is killing me. "seriously too"

80 grains goex
.010 patch doped with bore butter
home cast .490 round ball
4 shot group @ 50 yards masured 2" "horrible"
Next time out i will use a .015 patch and that will get me back in for accuracy.
I gotta do something about this buttplate though, After the fourth shot i felt like throwing up due to the pain of brass VS bone. The buttplate is cupped to much and rests on a bone in my shoulder and hurts like a SOB when the trigger is pulled. I may send the rifle off to have a custom buttplate fitted to the rifle. Other than the patch issue and the buttplate, rifle went off great with almost no delay and is sparking great with a tom fuller flint.

After i clean the kentucky and the winchester i plan on doing some shooting with the cva big bore.

Shot the cva staghorn with the same load as the winchester and the rifle loved it!
3 shot group measured a little less than 1/2" Not to bad but i think i can improve that once i get rid of the plastic sights that are on the rifle. I want to add steel durabright sights and a crushzone recoil pad and finish filling the inside of the stock with epoxy. Great shooting little rifle.

CVA big bore mtn rifle with 3 shots measured 1 1/2" 3 shot group. Could have had them all in the same hole if my second shot didnt slightly hold up on me[:@] That shot alone is what blew the group.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: More shooting! Used triple 7 this time

nice shooting there.. that is a very good group you have.