HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   777 vs. Pyrodex (pellets) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/202677-777-vs-pyrodex-pellets.html)

CamoCop 08-17-2007 02:09 PM

777 vs. Pyrodex (pellets)

which is truely better? i've heard 777 is cleaner and more powerful but i've also heard that it's not as consistant as Pyrodex. consistant as in shot groups. a couple of my family members tried 777 in every combination they could think of and could not get consistant groups. they said they switched to Pyrodex and have had no problems. i went ahead and bought 777 to try for myself...first hand. the first set up i'm going to try is 100 grains of 777 pellets (2 50 grain pellets) and 223 grain power belts. i was hoping the lighter projectile will compensate for only using 100 grains of 777 and give me flatter trajectory than heavier projectiles. 223 grain projectile is more than capable of bringing down our massive 150 pound whitetails.

AZBear 08-17-2007 02:30 PM

RE: 777 vs. Pyrodex (pellets)

I like them both and 777 is much cleaner and shoots good in my rifle but the Pyrodex shoots just a little better over all and is the powder I going with for now.

rem 700 08-17-2007 03:28 PM

Might try Winchester T7 primers with it to help with crud ring...I won't say which is truly better. There are advantages to each. Pellets are a waste of your time if you're going for maximum accuracy.

cayugad 08-17-2007 03:53 PM

You don't want to push powerbelts all that fast anyway. I am sure that you will have good luck with Triple Se7en or Pyrodex. The mistake a lot of people make with Triple Se7en over Pyrodex is they use too much. Loose Triple Se7en is 15% stronger then Pyrodex RS. So if you have a load that shoots well with 100 grains of Pyrodex and you switch to Triple Se7en and shoot 100 grains, you're pushing the projectile faster then your rifle might like. Yet if you would drop that T-7 load down to 85 grains or 90 grains, the results might be just as good or better.

Swab between shots and both powder work just fine.

stalkingbear 08-17-2007 03:53 PM

Since I started using american pioneer powder,I won't even THINK of using anything else. We had 3 knight rifles all equipped almost as exactly same as we could and tested different powders side by side. This includes chronograph,accuracy,among other testsas well asease of cleaning.
After 2 days of shooting and trying every combo we could come up with,we came to some interesting conclusions. #1-loose powder seems more uniform than pellets of any kind. #2-actual black powder is most uniform of all but don't seem worth the extra effort of combatting corrosion. #3-of the black powder substitutes,american pioneer powder burns cleanest with NO buildup,excellent accuracy,and is easiest to clean.
I did find out that with a magnum 209 primer,90-120 grains of FFF american pioneer powder seems to be the load by which we judged all others depending on bullet choice of course. I could go on but am likely boring yall.

bradisthebest 08-17-2007 09:38 PM

I have a CVA Hunterbolt 50 caliber. I use to use the pyrodex pellets with a 295 grain powerbelt bullet. But i changed over to the 777 pellets and would never go back to the pyrodex. 777 is cleaner shooting, shoots harder and faster.

Buckhunter46755 08-18-2007 04:47 AM

ORIGINAL: bradisthebest

I have a CVA Hunterbolt 50 caliber. I use to use the pyrodex pellets with a 295 grain powerbelt bullet. But i changed over to the 777 pellets and would never go back to the pyrodex. 777 is cleaner shooting, shoots harder and faster.
That's what I'm going to try out in my Buckhunter Pro this year. I just got my 209 conv. kit. How many grains of 777 are you using? I bought a box of the 777 50/50 pellets. I hope I can get good grouping. I should be alright with two 50gr pellets. I'm more than likely going to be shooting no more than 75 yrds. this year. Depends where I decide to hunt though. The 777 box says DO NOT use more than 100gr. powder sice it's 15% more powerful than the pyrodex. So I hope the 50/50's work out.
Still shooting 100gr. pyrodex loose powder and .490 roundball out of my T/C Carbine with good results. I'm still trying to find out what the inline likes best....

chris

CamoCop 08-21-2007 01:09 PM

ORIGINAL: rem 700

Might try Winchester T7 primers with it to help with crud ring...I won't say which is truly better. There are advantages to each. Pellets are a waste of your time if you're going for maximum accuracy.
i did pick up these primers. wonder why loose powder is more accurate? you would think there would be the same exact amount of premeasured powder in the pellets.

cayugad 08-21-2007 01:18 PM

wonder why loose powder is more accurate? you would think there would be the same exact amount of premeasured powder in the pellets.
Some people have outstanding accuracy with pellets and they see no reason to use loose powder. Actually if I hunted a couple days a year and that was all the use the rifle got, other then to go to the range and check loads and zero.. I could see using just pellets. When I shot pellets, I liked them. They were easy to load, and very accurate.

Loose powder on the other hand fits my shooting style. I do not mind measuring out the powder. I do think I personally can get better accuracy with loose powder, and I like the savings.

Two pyrodex pellets will weigh almost 100 grains. I forget what numbers I had when I weighed them but it was real close. Just like when I weighed black powder. Triple Se7en pellets on the other hand weighed around 77 -78 grains as I remember. So all they did was decrease the volume of powder to make the same power as what you would get in Pyrodex.

CamoCop 08-21-2007 05:18 PM

i more or less bought my muzzleloader just to extend my hunting season. i'm sure i'll enjoy shooting and using it but will i shoot it just to shoot it in the off season....probally not. i only see myself shooting it to check zero prior to hunting season or at game. i don't have a close place to go shoot, so shooting can be a hastle. the closest place to me is about a 45 minute to an hour drive away and it's a public range. so when you're sighting in your hunting rifle or experimenting with different loads....you have to deal with the morons out there just shooting to shoot.