Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 one power scope shooting >

one power scope shooting

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

one power scope shooting

Old 08-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default one power scope shooting

100 yard seems like a long way for me. Looking down range at that small white circle seemed like forever to me. The range finder said 100, 101, 100 yardsfor distance readings.

I wanted to shoot a rifle that would boost my confidence after yesterdays shameful range session. I almost took the KnightDisc out again just to prove it was a one time thing, but just couldn't. Instead I took the White Ultra Mag .504 with a Thompson Center 1X scope on it. I was shooting 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f, no wad, and a 500 grain BullShop conical.

I have been reading posts of 200 yard shooting but that distance for me is unrealistic. In my woods 75 yards would be maximum, and actually hard to findand 100 yards would be field edges. I wanted to see how much drop my big conicals would be having out at 100 yards.

The rifle was sighted in two inches high, hitting the top of the bulls eye at 50 yards. I was guessing the rifle would shoot a few inches low, but again, I was in for a little surprise.

Aiming dead center on the small 6" white pie plate I shot the first round. It should be noted I did not swab the barrel clean. Instead I simply ran a dry patch through the barrel and popped two caps. When it hit four inches low, I was not as surprised as you might think, I kind of figured a drop somewhere in this area.

Now with the barrel fowled, I aimed at the very top of the white pie plate figuring it would drop them big conicals down into the center of that plate. I fired five rounds. That large accumulation of hits at 11:00 o'clock on the plate is those hits. Now I was a little surprised. The conicals and rifle was not really dropping like I figured it would do.

I then set the cross hairs about 3/4 of the way into the top of the plate and shot a five shot group. The conicals began to then group about 3/4 the way up plus it popped one hit, almost dead center.

I then aimed dead center and just started shooting. At not time during this shoot was the barrel swabbed. And while the conicals hit about where the POI was, a few started to spread out. I attributed that to the fact the barrel was VERY hot, fowled, and I was getting tired. It was in the high 80's today, so things were heating up.

Overall I was very happy with the way that the White shot with the 1X scope at 100 yards. I would be more then willing to take a shot at a deer with that rifle at that range. Granted it is not a 1 inch group, but over all about what I expected from myself...
Old 08-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: one power scope shooting

Can't see any reasonfor a deer to survive a 100yard encounter with shooting like that.You'll be needing a knife in my opinion...........................Harold
Old 08-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Dave, this is exactly why I kinda have pushed "groups" of the center of what i want to do when i am shooting. I have moved to the thought I want to hit what I shoot at and for me I have justified in my mind - I have a 6" kill zone. To help me with this endevor I have, as you already know, gone to shooting sationary "clay pigeons" - I can see the immediate results of my efforts. I set the pigeons from 75 to 150 yards and start breaking them. I am going to get to 200 also but it is taking a little longer than I thought. I guess if I were to switch to a bullet with a higher BC it would help - but I shoot what I hunt with.

Your example here "the 6" pie plate" - proves the point - the deer is dead. Who cares about the group - althought that hole @ 11:00 looks pretty groupy.

Think what it would do if you were shooting Cdaddy load of 110 grains...
Old 08-12-2007, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks plenty good enough for deer hunting.
I like to shoot tight groups, but in all reality as long as all the bullets are in that 6" circle the deer will be just as dead. Although I have played around with shooting out to 200 yards I have never shot a deer at over 80 yards, and that was in an open field.
A few years ago I had a nice buck coming into a field where I had a ground blind. Every night before season he would enter on the same trail which I checked with the lazer range finder and found to be 187 yards. I practiced at 200 yards, and found with the Leupold 2-7X scope set on 5X the thick portion of the bottom crosshair was dead on at that range. Deer season arrived and I never did see the buck during season.
I finally shot a big doe at about 80 yards.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:16 PM

Cayugad that is some great shooting!! Speaking of having DISC problems, I took mine out Sat morning and couldn't get better than 5 inch grouping at 100 with 250 shockwaves! Two weeks ago, I shot a inch and a half group with those same bullets!!! I was depressed the rest of the day! Oh well, I'll shoot again next sat morning. Anyway, that's some A1 shooting you did! Kevin
Old 08-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Yesterday, when I was shooting my Disc rifle, I have never shot that bad in my life with a scoped rifle. And the worst part is, I could not make it behave. I have a few ideas I want to try next time out, and we will see if I am right but it might be a while before I get the urge to shoot that rifle again.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

Cayugad - Those holes look very reliable. Why did you not wet swab between shots as you normally do?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Dominant Buck

The reason I do not swab is, when I shoot my White Ultra Mag, the conicals are slip fit. There really is no need to swab. I can shoot basically all day long, loading charge after charge as fast as I want, and the rifle will fire. Granted, if I had swabbed it might have had better accuracy. I guess that is something to test with the next range trip.

Today I was shooting flintlocks. I am still amazed at how accurate the old patch and ball is. Even at 75 yards. Tomorrow I think I will shoot some of the older inlines I have like the Staghorn, and Wolverine.. just because they are there.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

I guess that is something to test with the next range trip.
You mean to tell us there is a combination (swab/no swab 500 BS conical in White) you haven't tried? I'm guessing you've forgotten those results or are simply looking for an excuse to go on another date with that "girl".

Granted it is not a 1 inch group
Wait a minute. Aren't those first 5 shots like 1.5"? Pleeeease......