Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 homemade blackpowder solvent? >

homemade blackpowder solvent?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

homemade blackpowder solvent?

Old 07-08-2007, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default homemade blackpowder solvent?

Quite a while back I read a post on here about a homemade cleaning solution. I believe it was part ww fluid and one or two other liquids. If anyone has the recipe or a link to the postwould you please post it or PM me. Thanks Fellas!
Old 07-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: homemade blackpowder solvent?

There are lots of homemade cleaners. I wonder if you are thinking of MAP cleaner. MAP is a combination of Murphy's Oil Soap, Isopropyl Alcohol, and Hydrogen Peroxide. I usually mix it 20%, 40%, 40% in the same order. Others like to mix it 10%, 45%, 45% reducing the Murphy's oil soap. The thing with Hydrogen Peroxide cleaners are, they cause flash rust. After you clean the barrel with MAP be sure and get some dry patches down there and then oil that bore good.

If all you are wanting to clean is black powder fowling, why not just use Dishwater. Mix some dish soap in water, will clean out fowling just fine.

Another is a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and car windshield washer fluid.

Don't overlook simple household cleaners also. Simple Green and water makes an excellent cleaner. Also there is an orange cleaner you can mix with water and that too will clean fowling.

The problem comes when it is plastic, lead, and copper fowling you need to clean. Then you will need a brass bore brush and some good solvent like Butch's Bore Cleaner, Hoppies Black Powder Solvent, or Birchwood Casey Bore Cleaner.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

I am looking for something for quick in the field and at the range between shots. I need it for 777 cleanup. but something that won't freeze. I believe the 50/50 iso alcohol and windshield waser fluid should work. Thanks for posting cayugad.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes, the 50/50 mix will work fine, it will not freeze and does a real good job of cleaning everything.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dbblung

Quite a while back I read a post on here about a homemade cleaning solution. I believe it was part ww fluid and one or two other liquids. If anyone has the recipe or a link to the postwould you please post it or PM me. Thanks Fellas!
Everything you put together at home can cause rust, so why complicate things? The best BP solvent I know of is just plain WATER! Some of the substitutes might respond better to something added to the water, but for BP, all that's needed to improve water is heat. BOILING water really works well. If you add alcohol to the water, this will freeze-proof it, as Cayugad says.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

At Home or at camp nothing else is as good as boiling water with a bit of citrus soap or strog dish detergent; in the field we each have our preferances,I like 50/50 alk. and ww but spit has done just fine when nothing else is handy. Lee
Old 07-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

I just go to the dollar store and get a .99 cent bottle of amonia free glass cleaner for quick clean up. Every now and then, I'll use the Birchwood Casey Bore cleaner to give it a really good cleaning.